Ginger Beer/Ginger Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJMevec

Reaction score
I have to wait until tomorrow to get my hands on some champagne yeast at the local homebrew shop (never done this sort of thing before). I'm usually the impatient sort and when it comes to the yeast fermenting with soda it seems to be strictly for carbonation purposes as some people just make the syrups and use their soda stream or carbonation rig to make that fiz. I was curious if I could use some seltzer water I had on hand to mix the Ginger Ale/Ginger Beer syrup into rather than wait for the carbonation from yeast? Also, what is the "risk" of alcohol development when using yeast to carbonate the drink? I'd imagine close to none or am I wrong?

Alcohol and carbonation are the result of yeast fermenting sugars. So if you use yeast to carbonate, you will by definition have at least .5 percent ABV. Also the yeast will continue to work past that low percent and eventually eat all the sugar while producing an enormous amount of CO2. You would have to somehow pastierize you pop after acheiving the level of carbonation you want. The seltzer method would be quick and non-alcoholic, but it would turn out with a relatively low carbonation level.

Back