Ginger beer carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkptym

Reaction score
Lately I finished fermenting a batch of alcoholic (~5.5%) ginger beer and went about bottling it with priming sugar like i usually bottle beer. I found that the liquid immediately reacted and frothed uncontrollably when it came in contact with the sugar. My only choice was to fill the bottles and then add the sugar and quickly seal the bottles before they overflowed.

Will the carbonation be effective? Will they overflow and froth like crazy when I open them? Will the bottles explode?

Has anyone done this before?

Most people find that you want to dissolve the priming sugar in a little water, and then put it in a bottling bucket and bottle the batch from there. Some do put the sugar in first, and then add the beer to each bottle, but as you can see it doesn't always work that well.

As you can see, "nucleation points" can cause foaming. My bet is that the beer was cooler than your usual batch and holding on to some co2. When the undissolved sugar and co2 touch each other, it creates a nucleation point and will foam like crazy.

When you go to drink them, you won't find them overcarbed. The carbonation should be ok.

Back