Gigayeast GY018 - saison #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Failing_Ales

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this yeast? I haven't been able to find much information.
Going to use it this weekend in a fairly simple saison with rye and fruity hops

72% Belgian pils
11% Rye malt
11% Torrified wheat
6% Acidulated malt

1.049 target, 35 IBU with mosaic and Nelson Sauvin late.

Plan to bottle half with WL brett c, assuming it gets fairly dry from primary.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Anyone have experience with this yeast? I haven't been able to find much information.

72% Belgian pils
11% Rye malt
11% Torrified wheat
6% Acidulated malt

Post up you results I'm intersted in info/reviews of this yeast and like you can't find much of anything. I just ordered the Vermont Ale for use in an ipa. Nice recipe if the yeast is good should turn out well

I love the name of the company; Gigayeast sounds like it should be an enemy for Godzilla. My only thing to point out recipe wise is, depending on how much Nelson Sauvin you're using, it's actually a fairly powerful hop, too much and it could be much hoppier than you anticipate.

I love the name of the company; Gigayeast sounds like it should be an enemy for Godzilla. My only thing to point out recipe wise is, depending on how much Nelson Sauvin you're using, it's actually a fairly powerful hop, too much and it could be much hoppier than you anticipate.

35 ibus is probably a little high for the style but both that i've made have been right there and are excellent. I could care less about style guidelines though some do.

Ordered Gigayeast Vermont ipa from morebeer but I won't be brewing with it for about 3 weeks

According to their website, saison #1 is from a French brewery, but no clue as to whether it is the same as Wyeast 3711 (supposedly from Brasserie Thiriez) or something else.

I pitched at 68 and let it rise to 74 over 4 days. Haven't taken a sample yet.

72% Belgian pils
11% Rye malt
11% Torrified wheat
6% Acidulated malt

Bottled this yesterday. Final gravity was 1.002. The hydrometer sample was delicious, fruity and bright. Tastes a bit thin, but we'll see what it's like carbonated. At 68-74F in my fermentation, the yeast is very reserved, with the typical phenolics being barely noticeable. It is enjoyable with the Nelson Sauvin and mosaic hops, but seems like it could be somewhat boring in a more traditional saison with European hops. I'm glad that it dried out so well in short order, though.
Bottled half with WL brett c, everything primed to 2.7 vol.

Did you add anything to the brett bottled beers to carb? Not sure that .002 leaves much left.

What temp did you mash at?

I primed the brett half the same as the clean half, to about 2.7 vol, without accounting for any further attenuation. I bottled these in sturdy 500 ml bottles though, so I'm not concerned.
I mashed at 152F.
Fermentation temperatures were right about the middle of the suggested range, so it would be interesting to see if the yeast is more expressive fermented hotter and/or in a higher gravity wort.

After a few weeks in the bottle, this turned out quite nice. Fruity hops backed with a mild peppery flavor, dry but with nice mouthfeel. Still seems pretty reserved compared to the saison yeasts I've used from Wyeast and White Labs, but very pleasant. Also surprisingly flocculant: almost crystal clear after 2 weeks bottle conditioning.
I'd recommend the yeast and would like to hear others' experiences.

After a few weeks in the bottle, this turned out quite nice. Fruity hops backed with a mild peppery flavor, dry but with nice mouthfeel. Still seems pretty reserved compared to the saison yeasts I've used from Wyeast and White Labs, but very pleasant. Also surprisingly flocculant: almost crystal clear after 2 weeks bottle conditioning.
I'd recommend the yeast and would like to hear others' experiences.

I havent tried this yeast but I have an ipa going with GigaYeast Vermont IPA (Conan) and it was so slow to start. It's my fault I was too lazy to do a starter but the reported cell count was close enough for me.

After that slow start the the Vermont IPA yeast blew off enough to fill the 2/3 of a gallon of space in the blow off jug, pop the lid on the fermenter and leak all over the desk in the basement brew room Its in beast mode now and i didnt want to leave the brewroom it smells so good

Back