Gigawort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timeasterday

Reaction score
I recently started doing small BIAB batches and will probably continue that way in the future. I've been looking at various electric systems so that I could do everything in the basement. Then I get a catalog in the mail yesterday and noticed the Gigawort. Does this seem like a good choice for 2.5 gallon or less batches using BIAB method?

https://www.northernbrewer.com/gigawort-electric-boil-kettle

I use the Grainfather Connect for 5-6 gallons batches and works very well.

I do not know the system you are looking at, but it seems OK for the price.

You mention that you do BIAB and would like to continue doing that, keep in mind that this is not an all grain device.

From the description:
"Electric kettle, useful for steeping and boiling extract & partial mash recipes."

From the Q&A tab:
"We do not have plans to make an all-grain version of the Gigawort at this time."

Seems it might be ok for small BIAB but not really what its designed for it seems.

You mention that you do BIAB and would like to continue doing that, keep in mind that this is not an all grain device.

From the description:
"Electric kettle, useful for steeping and boiling extract & partial mash recipes."

From the Q&A tab:
"We do not have plans to make an all-grain version of the Gigawort at this time."

Seems it might be ok for small BIAB but not really what its designed for it seems.

Yeah I would really like to see some documentation on this thing. If it can raise the water to a certain temp, hold it, then raise to a boil later then that's all I need. I don't sparge so this looks like it might work for what I do.

Looks pretty good. I would check out if it is user friendly. Can parts be replaced when something like the heating element(s) eventually fails.

I too would like to use this for BIAB.
Thoughts on that:
It says it will hold 4.5 gallons of liquid so you would have to do calculations on how much water you would have to take out in relation to the grains put in (grain absorption).
If there not enough room for the grain to get your gravely you could always add bit of DME to get you there.
Add water and/or sparge with water after bag is removed then boil
Top up to final volume in fermenter after your done.

Any feed back to these ideas on this system?

I live a few minutes drive from Northern Brewer and having seen the Gigawort, it appears reasonably well made at the price point. Based on NB's website reviews, most buyers have positive feedback with some caveats but even so, some wish it were a bit larger. I guess some small batch others would like it to brew more than 2.5 or so gallons but are okay with less than 5. I'd be much more interested if it were just a gallon or so larger and I'd do BIAG. For $100 more, I can buy a Brewer's Edge Mash and Boil and do 3 gallons or 5-6 gallons. In my view, not a lot more $$ in the big picture.

I’m looking at this to do 2.5 gallon test batches. Also thinking about doing kettle sour batches of the same amount. Will it hold a low temp for days at a time?

Would it be Cheaper and more reliable to build an elec brew kettle from a simple kettle, 2000 watt heating element, and pid controller? I also noted that inkbird has their PID controllers on sale lately for non-DIYer's on amazon. Plus you may not have to deal with the 6 degree or more temp swings reviews keep speaking of with this items controller! A basement brewing option is of interest to me for the occasional 3 gallon biab batch/single case's of beer during Ohio's cold winters.
Mike

Yeah, I keep looking for ideas for a electric setup to do small batches in my kitchen but I haven't found what I want just yet. I would love to build a small system that could recirculate the wort to maintain temp as well as keeping temp for days at a time.

I bought a gigawort to use for small batch biab. I've done about 5 batches of approximately 2.5 to 3 gallons finished beer. Been mainly experimenting with making small batch lagers. Holding consistent mash temps have been a bit tricky, lately I have been doing around a 30 minute mash and turning off the heating element during that time. The gigawort gets the wort to a good rolling boil. I like that i can brew indoors and not be restricted to brewing in the kitchen.

I looked at getting the brewers edge but ended up getting the gigawort at 20% off at the original price before they raised their prices.

I have really liked brewing on it, short brew days, smaller batches and it's made some good beer!

Back