Gigawort as a Herms HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubberband

Reaction score
I'm brewing with gas currently and was considering going electric. If I had the money, I might jump in a buy a complete system but I don't, so..............I need to start piecing things together.

To start, I thought I might try using a Gigawort electric kettle as the HLT and add a Blichmann HERMS coil to it. Gigawort is relatively affordable, runs on 110V and I don't have to boil so overall power isn't as much an issue.

I have two concerns at this point, the first being the diameter of the coil and the ID of the Gigawort, I need to check if the coil will fit inside but I think it will. The question I'd like some feedback on is this, I am concerned that the bulkhead fittings will leak because of the dual walls of the Gigawort. I'm not sure I can create a good seal without dramatically deforming the kettle walls. Anyone try this yet? I could always use a chiller coil as the HERMS coil and just set it in the Gigawort but I like the idea of having the coil in the kettle at the exact location every time.

I would recommend the Digiboil over the Gigawort. It is only 100 watts less, but it can hold 9.25 gallons vs 4.4 and it is also $15 cheaper. I have the 220v version and it has served me well as a boil kettle. As you said, it may take a bit to heat the strike water, but it shouldn't be more than 45 min I am guessing.

Thanks for the tip on the Digiboil, I'll start looking for one to see if it will hold a blichmann herms coil. The Gigawort is out, I don't think the double walls will allow the bulkheads to remain sealed. I finally saw one up close and personal.
, the material will dimple and leak in my opinion. I'm moving on at this point.

I’ve been considering a similar upgrade to my brewing set up. I currently have a RoboBrew V3 (110V) and I’ve been brewing in this for about a year. It works quite well, and I’ve been happy with it and I’ve been fermenting in an SS Brewtech chronical 7 gallon. So this set up has been OK for 5 gallon batches. But I just purchased, used, a SS Brewtech chronical 14 gallon with cooling system. To up my game I’m going to buy a Brewzilla 220v system for 65 liters - allowing me to brew 10 gallons, and I’m going to turn my smaller RoboBrew into a HERMS HLT by drilling holes and installing the coil inside. I’m quite sure this is going to work well, and since both systems have pumps included I’ll have a fully electric system and be able to plumb it so I can mash and sparge and boil with these 2 tanks. I also plan to use the RoboBrew with the HERMS cool as a wort chiller by filing it with ice water after the boil.
I have this all drawn out and will try to put some updates here only I get it together and functioning.

So I meant to include, as I rambled about my plan: maybe you should consider the RoboBrew as the HERMS HTL tank. Having one of these already, I can say that I am quite sure it will work. There will be no issue sealing the HERMS coil inlet and outlet. And the built in pump will work to keep the temp of the liquor nice and accurate and uniform during circulation of wort through the coil.

So I meant to include, as I rambled about my plan: maybe you should consider the RoboBrew as the HERMS HTL tank. Having one of these already, I can say that I am quite sure it will work. There will be no issue sealing the HERMS coil inlet and outlet. And the built in pump will work to keep the temp of the liquor nice and accurate and uniform during circulation of wort through the coil.
Thanks for the update on your plans, I've been brewing for 11 years now, the last two on my gas single tier, three vessel system. I have pumps, three of them, and I have two mash tuns, a 5 and a 10 gal drink cooler. I really want to get away from gas if I can, just so I can start brewing inside. My main problem is I need to install a 220 volt plug in my brew shed. I like the idea of trying to start with a 110 volt kettle as a HLT with a HERMS coil for cost and it should let me turn off the gas until it's time to boil. Let me know how the RoboBrew turns out. The price of the RoboBrew is very close to the cost of an electric Herms kettle but I still need the $300 controller.

I'll have to stop at Adventures in Homebrew and check out one of the RoboBrew units to see how sturdy it is. It would be nice to have a fully functioning BIAB electric unit for 5 gallon batches. I like your confidence, I'd like to know how this turns out for you.

Back