"Giant Smasher" Triple IPA - Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heimholder

Reaction score
Please check out this recipe - I've brewed a bunch of pretty good extract single and double IPAs but here's my first shot at the big time. I haven't brewed it yet, was hoping to hear from some experts before sinking $60 bucks or so into this monster. I'm fine with it being a "hoppy barleywine" if anyone's upset with my classification :D. Also I tried to stick to the following ratios for a big IPA - 1) "Plain" sugar accounts for ~10% fermentables, 2)Late hop additions account for ~40% of IBUs

Using BeerSmith software:

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP001 (will add WL super high gravity if stuck)
Yeast Starter: 2L decant liquid
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.121
Final Gravity: 1.026 (maybe lower if I add the high gravity yeast)
IBU: 156.3 (I think my software calculates this high - could someone who has different software check this please?)
ABV: 12.54%
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 14.6
Primary Fermentation: 14 days @68F or as needed
Secondary Fermentation: 14 @68F

Add water to boil 3.25 gallons

Steep 1 lb. Crystal Malt 20L 30 min. @ 145C

Extracts:
60 min (3.3 lb. Extra Light Liquid Extract)
60 min (1.5 lb. Table Sugar)
15 min (13.2 lb. Extra Light Liquid Extract)

Hops:
60 min (2 oz Simcoe 13.0%)
45 min (1 oz Simcoe 13.0%)
20 min (1.5 oz Simcoe 13.0%)
15 min (1.5 oz Amarillo 8.5%)
10 min (1 oz Amarillo 8.5%)
5 min (1 oz Cascade 5.5%)

Chill and top to 5.5 gallons in 6 gal glass carboy

Secondary Ferment Dry Hop with 2oz Cascade

Bottle carb w/corn sugar, maybe add extra yeast? Maybe need to force carb?

Thanks for any input - I'll be sure to post results although it may be a few weeks before I can assemble the ingredients and free up the time.

The bigger the beer, the more sugar I would use. You really want a beer that big to finish out pretty dry (under 1.020 ideally). I'd go 15% sugar say, especially since you are using extract so you can't just lower your mash temp. I might just skip the crystal as well, no need to add extra color/sweetness. You might consider waiting to add the sugar until after fermentation gets going, that will lower the stress on the yeast.

I'm not a big fan of mid-boil hop additions for a big hoppy beer like this. I would get all the IBUs from a big addition at 60, Simcoe is a perfect choice. Then load the beer up with hops right at the end of the boil, I actually add some hops right at flameout, then an ounce a minute for the first few minutes of chilling. The faster you can cool the better. Simcoe/Amarillo is one of my favorite combinations. I think you can amp it up though, my last ~8% DIPA had 5 oz steeped post-boil and 6 oz of dry hops.

Otherwise just try to keep oxygen out after the start of fermentation, hop oxidize easily to make less than pleasant compounds. Some gypsum might not be a bad idea (I like 150-200 ppm of sulfate in my hoppy beers), although you’ll already have a lot of minerals in your batch from your water and all the water that went into making the extract.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Thought I'd post an update after tasting it during a gravity reading 1 month after initial brewday. IMO it tastes incredible for a 12+% beer - next time I might do more late hop additions since I'm a big hop-head, but I'm very happy so far, especially considering it will improve even more with aging.

Thanks Oldsock for your recommendations - I totally re-worked my recipe as follows:

Using BeerSmith software:

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP001 initally, WL super high gravity along with late sugar addition
Yeast Starter: 1.5L
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.118
Final Gravity: 1.022
IBU: 152.9
ABV: 12.68%
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 12.6
Primary Fermentation: 14 days @68F or as needed
Secondary Fermentation: 7 @68F

Add water to boil 3.25 gallons
Add 1 tsp. gypsum

Extracts:
60 min (3.3 lb. Extra Light Liquid Extract)
15 min (9.9 lb. Extra Light Liquid Extract)
After 1 week fermentation: (2.5 lb. Table Sugar boiled 15 min)

Hops:
60 min (4 oz Simcoe 12.2%)
60 min (1 oz Amarillo 7.5%)
15 min (1 oz Amarillo 7.5%)
10 min (1 oz Amarillo 7.5%)
5 min (1 oz Cascade 7.2%)
0 min (1 oz Amarillo 7.5%)
-1 min (1 oz Cascade 7.2%)
Dry Hop (3 oz Cascade 7.2%, add more every couple days for 7 days)

I'm transferring this beast today to free up the 6-gal carboy, but it's still bubbling slowly so I'll probably wait another couple of weeks before dry-hopping.

I'll send another update once it's bottled and conditioned for a week (I'm impatient, give me a break)

Thanks again to Oldsock - seems like your recommendations were spot-on.

- Heimholder

Latest posts

Back