Giant Freezer, Not sure what to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotivationDedication

Reaction score
So I've been searching for a deal on a freezer to convert on CL for a while. I jump on this ad that was posted only a few hours prior without a picture because at $50, any working freezer is a steal IMO. The guy says, "it's pretty big" but I don't let it defer me. When I arrive I see just how "Big" it is. Knowing I could easily resell it instead of using it as a MEGA KEEZER, I'm stuck at a 50/50 of just what to do.

jvpa3c

When I say big I mean GINORMOUS. This thing ranks in at a whopping 25.2 cu ft and once measured I determined that (without any alteration whatsoever) it could comfortably hold either 10-11 cornies or 7-8 cornies with a 15.5 gal commercial sanke keg. Mind you both setups would have PLENTY of room on the hump (more like a plastic stair) for a 10lb tank, all regulators and some bottles or whatever storage I'd like to make of it.

Given that I honestly don't have the financial ability to tap 8-10 beers all together I won't be able to use this freezer to it's fullest extent.

My question to you all: should I use it and run a "half empty keezer" or resell and start the search over for a more fitting freezer?

You could always use half of it for your kegs then the other half for store bought beers.

Seems to me like your real question is one of energy cost. While you may not tap 8-10 cornies, you could certainly store full ones for an impressive pipeline backing up 3-4 taps, plus storing malt, hops, etc. But if the thing costs you an arm and a leg to use, then that's a losing deal. If not, seems like you have a lot of options!

For instance, I lucked into two free mini-fridges a few months ago. One I made into a ferm fridge, the other I made a dedicated beer bottle fridge. My wife was ecstatic to get the beer out of our kitchen fridge. Like the last poster said, you could store bottled beer in your giant keezer as well.

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

I am having difficulty finding enough freezer space, or even refrigerator space to store my growing supply of hops. You may need it for that in the future. Or, storing specialty grains that you purchase in bulk because they are cheaper but do use a limited amount in an individual brew.

Giant freezer? How about putting a giant in it? :D

Find me a giant lol. Actually I have an old roommate that is 6' 9", maybe I should just call him up :D

Seems to me like your real question is one of energy cost. While you may not tap 8-10 cornies, you could certainly store full ones for an impressive pipeline backing up 3-4 taps, plus storing malt, hops, etc. But if the thing costs you an arm and a leg to use, then that's a losing deal. If not, seems like you have a lot of options!

For instance, I lucked into two free mini-fridges a few months ago. One I made into a ferm fridge, the other I made a dedicated beer bottle fridge. My wife was ecstatic to get the beer out of our kitchen fridge. Like the last poster said, you could store bottled beer in your giant keezer as well.

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

In all my narrow-mindedness I hadn't thought of having a "pipeline" and starting to maybe do 10 gal batches! Also, yes you are spot on with energy concerns and to boot I'm still not 100% settled into a single residence (I get moved around a bit, about once every year or so) so moving this thing will prove aggravating (have to take the doors off and it squeezes through).

I am having difficulty finding enough freezer space, or even refrigerator space to store my growing supply of hops. You may need it for that in the future. Or, storing specialty grains that you purchase in bulk because they are cheaper but do use a limited amount in an individual brew.

Gammon, I was thinking about this too and have a return question for you. I'm currently making the attempt to go completely all-grain however I'm still lacking essential knowledge. In storing of grains and hops are refrigerated temp levels enough? I know hops should be frozen (I think), are grains OK with refrigerated temps? Can hops be stored at those temps too and retain their integrity?

Man, I'd kill to cold store and carb spare cornies and still have six on tap. Screw energy concerns, screw moving, keep the thing!

Also, for kicks, search "Project Monsterator". Be warned though, it has a sad ending...

I've got a fairly large chest freezer. I also bought it for 50 bucks off of craigslist. After getting it loaded in the car, the seller asked what I would be using it for. When I told him, he looked at me dejectedly. He had just gotten into homebrewing, and hadn't thought about my application.

But I digress. I use my large chest freezer for controlled fermentation, and carbing/storing cornies. My kegerator, in the house (and built into the bar) is what is used for serving. If you have the space, somethign to think about.

Find me a giant lol. Actually I have an old roommate that is 6' 9", maybe I should just call him up :D

In all my narrow-mindedness I hadn't thought of having a "pipeline" and starting to maybe do 10 gal batches! Also, yes you are spot on with energy concerns and to boot I'm still not 100% settled into a single residence (I get moved around a bit, about once every year or so) so moving this thing will prove aggravating (have to take the doors off and it squeezes through).

Gammon, I was thinking about this too and have a return question for you. I'm currently making the attempt to go completely all-grain however I'm still lacking essential knowledge. In storing of grains and hops are refrigerated temp levels enough? I know hops should be frozen (I think), are grains OK with refrigerated temps? Can hops be stored at those temps too and retain their integrity?

Come to NJ, plenty of giants here you can have. :D

I bought a 26 cubic foot freezer when I was in the same boat as you, searching for a keezer freezer. I had no room for it inside, so I made it into a fermentation fridge. used an old fridge to house my kegs and send the lines upstairs.

Man, I'd kill to cold store and carb spare cornies and still have six on tap. Screw energy concerns, screw moving, keep the thing!

Also, for kicks, search "Project Monsterator". Be warned though, it has a sad ending...

i'm with you on that 1. to be able to store on tap, lager, and cold condition at once, i'd be in homebrewers heaven

Back