"Ghetto" Beer Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefJoeR

Reaction score
Slowly starting to build up my beer making equipment and have a couple of observations. When it comes to carboys, aren't they just glass versions of the five gallon water tank bottles that get delivered to homes and offices? Would it make sense for me to just snag on from my business rather than pay for something of the same thing? Plus, I will always have a supply of new ones when the one I have gets a little dirty, just put it back through the system. Also, for a bottling bucket, wouldn't any clean 5-6 gallong bucket do? I work in a restaurant and have access to buckets like this. My thoughts are, just get this stuff, go to home depot and pick up the necessary added equipment. It may not look pretty, but it's my version of good "ghetto" brew set-up. What do you think?

yes they are. you can use them as others have some say it lends to o2 permeability but there has been good discussion about how the co2 produced by the fermenting beer will prevent this from happening. if you choose to go that route pick up bottles that have a #1 or 2 on the bottom. some say it doesnt matter. you can also use 5 gallon homer buckets from home depot/lowes

I personally use a 6 gallon Poland Spring. make sure to use one without a handle as its hard to clean in the handle gap. As for getting used buckets from homedepot i dont know if they are foodgrade and I wouldnt use them. My rule is if i can get bucket that have been used for food they are good to go. All commercially designed brewing equipment, in my opinion, are overpriced. Aside from a brewing kit that I bought when i was starting out my mash tun, brew pot, fermentors, wort chiller, and hoses are all "ghetto" as you put it. I dont disrespect the people who "bling" out their gear with Blichman and other brands, I just dont see the point.

I don't mean to beat up the people that go for high priced items, there is alot to say about the quality of those items. Alot of them are really worth it, but my funds aren't availbable for that right now. All the buckets I get at work are food grade. They may need a good scrubbing, but the way I see it "anything free is good"! What is the best method to cleaning out the water jugs?

I only use the water jugs for secondary as primary fermentation leaves lots of trub and a thick ring. For this reason a bucket is ideal for primary, just make sure you use a blowoff or have adequate head space. For secondary I use a water jug. I just fill it with a gallon or two of hot water add some baking soda, place a bung on top, and shake like hell(hold the bung on while shaking). I find that this gets rid of all of the beer smell and i just sanities it before my next batch.

Given a choice between bling and ghetto, unless there is a significant advantage to the bling that transcends cost, I'll do ghetto every time. Making more with less and getting the most bang for the buck is, for me, part of the challenge of homebrewing.

Back