GF Oatmeal Stout (partial mash recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glutarded-chris

Reaction score
This is my partial mash version of a GF oatmeal stout that was adapted from Igliashon’s “No Nonsense Stout” originally posted here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/no-...-stout-323755/

Rather than roast the oatmeal, this recipe gets the roasted flavors from roasted grain in the partial mash. My original post was here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/gf-oatmeal-stout-partial-mash-489564/

5.5 gallon pitching volume
3.5 gallon boil volume

Mash:
4.0 lb pale millet malt
0.7 lb dark roast millet malt
0.3 lb medium roast millet malt
1.0 lb pale buckwheat malt (cereal mashed)
1.0 lb Bob’s Red Mill GF rolled oats (cereal mashed)

Added to boil:
2 lb sorghum syrup [60 min]
Note: the amount of sorghum was adjusted based on actual mash yield
2 lb Belgian Candy Syrup D45 [20 min]
0.5 lb maltodextin [20 min]

Hops (42 IBU calculated):
0.55 oz Columbus (16.3%AA) @ 60 minutes
0.55 oz Columbus (16.3%AA) @ 20 minutes

Other:
1 tab Whirlfloc
3 teaspoons yeast nutrient

Yeast:
1.5 sachet Safale S-04

BG: 1.040 at beginning of boil for bittering hops
BG: 1.099 at end of boil for flavoring and aroma hops (after late additions of fermentables)
OG: 1.058

This batch used about 22% of the gravity contribution from sorghum syrup.

Plan on at least 6 weeks of conditioning in bottle or keg before serving!

This thread isn't so old so I don't feel bad about bumping it. My wife has celiac disease and I'm trying to do a simple sorghum brew as a first GF brew for us but I want to add a bag of Bobs Red Mill GF oats to it. Did any celiacs try this beer and feel okay with it? She hasn't tried the GF oats out of caution.

I am celiac and only brew with GF ingredients. I had no trouble with this beer except when i drank too much at one sitting :)

If you want to keep the first batch simple, you might want to brew the original that Igliashon posted. If you do that, read up on the roasting of the oats as there seemed to be a lot of discussion on that.

Hi, Can you tell me your lautering process and experiences. I am glutarded so to say but still making gluten containing malt beers as I have so many people interested in it and there are competitions and such but am planning on making beer for me sooner rather than later. Like I can not wait. I wish to make whole grain and have tried it already once but have had a hard time lautering. I am guessing I need to maximize my enzyme to degrade all of the starches. I wish to use enzymes because I am not able to get malted gf grains and wish to use whole grains because I can not get syrups either. Thanks

These days I use a voile bag to separate the wart from the grain. Sort of BIAB but I don't heat with the bag. I use the bag with a cooler for the final rest. Works pretty well but I have to use two bags and two coolers for for larger grain bills. I do have a mash tun with a manifold that I used on early batches with single infusion. It worked great for all millet and got hopelessly stuck with all buckwheat. With a high amount of buckwheat, oats etc. you need to use rice hulls. There are others on here that use false bottoms in their mash tuns with success. Some line the false bottom with voile cloth, and some use a voile bag in combination with the false bottom in case they get stuck and have to pull the grain.

Back