GF Brewers Using Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lcasanova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
DKershner had a good idea of putting together our collective 'custom' ingredients from Beersmith. I suppose if you are using any other brewing software you could post the details here too.

I added sorghum syrup to mine, here's what it looks like:

Sorghum_Syrup.bmp

Feel free to add any of your additions/comments/changes/etc to help. As always, when more than one of us are working towards this common goal it just makes it that much easier :mug:

I'm just waiting for BeerSmith for the Mac. Played with the Windows version for awhile though and I must say that I love it, but the UI looks like an engineer made it.

Full disclosure, I'm an engineer.

I'm just waiting for BeerSmith for the Mac. Played with the Windows version for awhile though and I must say that I love it, but the UI looks like an engineer made it.

Homebrewing is like 50% engineers, so that would make a lot of sense why this program is so popular.

I think I read that it is coming by the end of the year. See the last page of this thread. I may try the windows version under parallels before then.

The engineer in me loves the BeerXML view in BeerSmith.

so i hear about this beer smith contraption. have you guys created a GF file?... i just downloaded it and deleted everything that wasnt GF :p

i get the stuff from my lhbs. i think its from briess. but they have nothing on their site about it... nor does their site have a search function. ill figure out how to get the ppg and post that when i do my next batch. kershner thanks for posting all that! eventually ill be able to figure out how to use this program:p

i get the stuff from my lhbs. i think its from briess. but they have nothing on their site about it... nor does their site have a search function. ill figure out how to get the ppg and post that when i do my next batch. kershner thanks for posting all that! eventually ill be able to figure out how to use this program:p

http://www.briess.com/food/Products/nsts.php

There is a bunch of tapioca stuff, never heard of Briess agave.

yeah my bad... i kept hunting under the brewing stuff.... didnt even think to look under food. i could have sworn that ive seen agave in the catalog at the lbhs. but ive picked up agave syrup from the grocery store

Updated it to 12, but I wasn't sure what was already in Beersmith, it's been awhile.

http://brew.dkershner.com/gf-ingredients-for-beersmith/

Let me know if you guys have anything else that you feel good about, and I apologize for the ugliness of the page...crazy time of year, less time to update.

Thanks for posting these. I imported them into a fresh BeerSmith install, and I think they were all new except Honey and Sugar. Also, it appears the Apple Juice file contains many extra ingredients.

On a related note, I decided to give BrewTarget a try. This is an Open Source program created by rocketman768 (See announcement posting). Besides the fact that I like Open Source, a big plus for BrewTarget is that it will run natively on the Mac. Having to run BeerSmith in a VM is somewhat of a hassle. I don't think it has nearly the features that BS does, but it looks like it will do everything I need.

BrewTarget supports the BeerXML standard for compatibility with BS, but it seems to only allow the import of recipes. To get the ingredients into BrewTarget from the posted bsm files, I did the following:

1. Import the bsm files into BS as ingredients.
  2. Create a DummyBeer recipe in BS with all of the ingredients.
  3. Export the DummyBeer recipe in the BeerXML format
  4. Import the DummyBeer recipe.xml into BrewTarget.

This same DummyBeer recipe export can also be imported into BS, and it makes it easy to get all the ingredients in at once. After importing it into BS I think you do have to click on each ingredient and choose "Add to my ingredients", but that is pretty quick.

Just a suggestion that it would be really handy to have a single GF_Ingredients.xml recipe file that contained all the ingredients of interest.

Thanks,
Jerry

Back