Getting yeast from active fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this is somewhat of a bizarre question but has anyone ever tried to extract some yeast from an active fermentation to use on another brew? If so, how did you go about it? I have considered using the racking cane without the bottom cap on to suck up some of the slurry?!?

I have a cider that is 1 week into fermentation on WY2565 (Kolsch) and I want to use that strain on a Kolsch I'm brewing today. And yes I have read that it is sometimes difficult to get a yeast thats been working on cider to start up on the more complex sugars in beer. The cider recipe has about 1lb of DME so I'm thinking at least some of the cells will be at home in the Kolsch.

It is possible to use a siphon to collect at least some yeast. I did it once when I was racking to the bottling bucket and my siphon slipped. I quickly pulled it back to begin siphoning beer.
Would a longer siphon of the thicker yeast work? I don't know. If you give it a try and do get yeast a starter would probably be warranted for yeast health in the Kolsch. Starter might be at high krausen at the end of this afternoon.

Just use a sanitized spoon to scoop out some krausen from the top or sides of the fermentor. Nothing too complicated. I've done this a few times with no ill effects to either batch.

Back