Getting water chemistry right - the easy way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouseykins

Reaction score
When starting out with all-grain I found the amount of information on water chemistry pretty overwhelming. And to make matters worse I kept hearing how important is it to get right!

I've now been using the method in the video for the past dozen brews and am hitting water chemistry numbers every time. And it's so easy - just a few numbers in a spreadsheet, measure, and away you go. Anybody else using this, or have an ever better method?

https://youtu.be/-3to_UMQpNE

That works. If you want easier, then, (for the case of ~7 gallons anticipated pre-boil), start with good RO water or distilled, and then this is what I have settled upon:

For light lagers and cream ales, add 4.5 grams CaCl2-2H2O to the mash water
For amber through stouts, add 1 gram CaSO4, 4.5 grams of CaCl2-2H2O, and 2 grams of MgSO4 to the mash water
For American IPA's with hops through the roof add 5 grams CaSO4, 2 grams of CaCl2-2H2O, and 3.5 grams of MgSO4 to the mash water

In all cases you still need to check the mash pH and adjust accordingly (and only if necessary) with either acid or bicarb. Also acidify the RO or distilled sparge water to 5.5 - 5.6 pH

Your mileage may vary. Trust but verify.

Man, it would be awesome if some homebrew forum has a sticky detailing how to treat your water very simply for those looking to get into water chemistry.........lol.

Back