getting twitchy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgarri1

Reaction score
This Sunday will be three weeks in the bottle for my 1st ever batch. I hope it doesn't suck....I have been counting down the days like I am approaching my due date or something...

If sunday is the D-day (drinking day) then put the bottle in the fridge today or tomorrow. it needs to get cold first. then its going to absorb some CO2 in the headspace of the bottle, so by sunday afternoon, it will be a proper representation of the carbonation.

a few hours on ice really isn't sufficient to get the CO2 back into solution.

I'd say put 3-4 bottles in the fridge. Chances are it will be great & you'll want more than one.

You have learned well grasshopper, most of us probably have sampled a bottle from our first batchs at 2 weeks or so :)

Listen to the little devil on your shoulder. Drink one NOW. No need to wait. Caulk it to testing the carbonation process.

Oh my Oh my Oh my....what a sweet nectar I have created. How will I ever be able to dring commercial swill again?

jgarri1 said:
Oh my Oh my Oh my....what a sweet nectar I have created. How will I ever be able to dring commercial swill again?

Yea!!!!! A success story! A beer snob at your first batch! Way to go!!!!:mug:

Seriously- there is nothing better than popping open something YOU made that tastes better than 75% of the commercial beers out there. And soon, you'll make every style you like and be able to walk to your beer fridge and say to yourself, "Hmmm. What style am I in the mood for? An IPA? An alt? A brown ale?" And they will all be great!

Good job. :rockin:

M first batch is fermenting and it's only been 48 hours and I don't think I can freaking wait anymore. This is driving me crazy. Please tell me its at least easier when you already have a batch in the fridge to drink while the second and third are prepping.

IrregularPulse said:
M first batch is fermenting and it's only been 48 hours and I don't think I can freaking wait anymore. This is driving me crazy. Please tell me its at least easier when you already have a batch in the fridge to drink while the second and third are prepping.

I think once you taste the difference between a well conditioned brew and a brew that's being consumed to early, it makes you want to wait. because you know it will be sooo much better in a few weeks.

the first one is the hardest. I have another batch just bottled 4 days ago and another in the secondary that I will be bottling this weekend...now that I have five tasty gallons to snack on the waiting for the next ones to condition won't be as bad....I agree with everyine else..it sux but patience is truly a virtue and will be rewarded by a good tasiting brew.

If you're getting crazy waiting for your first batch, you might as well start jumping off the deep end. It's time to start amassing fermenters. two or three primaries and four to six secondaries is about right. There's nothing worse than running out of brew and having to wait for the next batch. I've found that the easiest way to make sure beers have plenty of time to mature is to fill the pipeline up. Right now I have a beer in secondary that's as clear as a bell, but my kegs are full, so it'll just have to wait. Then there's the apfelwine in secondary for going on 2 months now, I think that one's gonna sit there for another month or two before I get around to doing something with it. One primary has my new "Edison's Nightmare Wheat" in it, bubbling away at about a bubble every three seconds. One of the other two primaries will be full tomorrow afternoon with a Better Beer extract kit I picked up just for kicks:):):)

Welcome to the obsession.

BTW I have three batches in bottles that SWMBO and I are consuming quickly. Also, Five kegs are on tap. Life is good

Back