Getting sulfur smell.. Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkychef

Reaction score
Hello
Im new to brewing and all grain.

Ive got my first Wit Bier fermenting away. I opened the closet where it is and noticed a strong sulfur smell. Im using K-97 yeast and its fermenting around 20*c its only been 4 days since i pitched so still early.
Also being a wit i was hoping it would be ready to bottle early about 2-3 weeks, will the sulfur smell subside by then? Or will it need to sit longer.
Cheers

Drink more coffee and do stupid things faster

The sulfur odor is normal for the yeast from what I have read. It will disappear with a little time in the primary. Three weeks and it should definitely be gone.

No worries. Wheat beer yeast strains in particular are known for this. Wyeast 3068 produces an abundance of sulfury-smelling compounds which generally condition out. Watch your fermentation temps and let the conditioning take care of it. That being said, I'd be careful about having a timeline. Let the beer tell you when it's ready.

Cool, thank you!
I only was thinking about packaging early because I read that wits are better young but I have no time frame just eager to drink it, my only other worry is as it went into the fermenter it didn't have much of a coriander and orange flavor at all. Will that come through after it ferments?

Drink more coffee and do stupid things faster

A good wit bier should not have an over powering coriander and orange flavor. The flavors should be subtle. With a few weeks of conditioning the flavor will be there.
Young has various meanings, in the case of a wit it isn't weeks, but a few months with cool storage.

Back