Getting Started with Kegging Questions!??!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GweedoeBrew

Reaction score
South of Boston, By way of West Virginia!!
Ok... So... I think that this is my first post here... but I have been lurking for awhile...

I am going to start kegging my homebrew. I have some parts, taps, and basic things to turn a fridge into my kegorator (already got the fridge)....

So my questions are... I need the basic starting things... CO2 tank, hoses, kegs, regulator, ball locks... ETC...

So I was thinking about getting one of those Keg Starter kits...

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Cat...tor+Kits&searchpath=49032417&start=9&total=43

maybe just the one keg setup with the 5lb tank for 135ish plus shipping!!

What are everyone's thoughts on a kit like that...

Where is the best place to buy kegs, parts, kits, etc....general kegging equipment???

Any real guidance for getting started with kegging!!!???

If you checked ebay and craigslist you could probably get it like this:

CO2 Tank 5lb: 35-45
Corny Keg: 25-30
Regulator 40
Hoses, connectors, picnic tap: 15

You might be able to go cheaper if you found a killer craigslist deal. However these prices are if you snag one off ebay at everyday prices.

Thanks kinda how I pieced mine together. That basic kit isn't unreasonalby priced.

If you were certain you were only doing 1 keg for the forseeable future I'd go for it. Otherwise maybe get a dual regulator w/two independent outputs so you can have say an english ale and a hefeweizen each carbed to style. That's gonna cost about twice as much for the regulator but is probably worth it.

You could possibly order a few perlicks and shanks and have real taps on your setup too. that would probably add another 75 dollars tops and you'd never have to open the kegerator again!

Yes that kit has everything you need to keg. Just think ahead as to exactly what type of setup you want so you don't have to rebuy anything.

+1 on thinking ahead. I'd also suggest scrolling down the page and starting at the $169.95 range as it comes with faucet and shank. But that's just my $0.02 worth.

Well I just went with the Dual Regulator and the 2 kegs setup.... So I have everything else to remove the party taps... and just plug it into my fridge and beer time (except I have to build a base for my fridge now... cause it is not flat on the bottom... WEEKEND PROJECT!!)

I got it from the same place... but on their Ebay account... cause it was 10 bucks less than ordering it on their site!

I am excited to start kegging!!! Thanks for talking me into thinking about the future and spending more money... I am blaming all of you when I tell my wife tonight I spend 200 bucks!!! HEHE!!!

That 2 faucet conversion kit looks miiiiiighting tempting.

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=276

Anyone have an opinion on it? Anyone here shop at keg connection before?

How long does a 20 oz CO2 tank last when connected to two corny kegs?

Is a system with one regulator OK with two kegs?

One reg is fine, but you have to keep them both at the same pressure. (ie, if you're force carbing one at 30 psi, the other will be pushed to 30 psi unless you disconnect it, this leads to a pour of pure foam. If you're force carbing, I would use the 'set and forget' method and let it carb at your serving pressure for a week+)

Go bigger than 20oz. Not speaking from experience, but I've heard they last for about two kegs. A 5lb tank will last 8-12 kegs (personal experience) and that is force carbing all of them. I may have been gypped on the fill the time it lasted 8...

Kegconnection is a very reputable business. Do no hesitate to order from them. I purchased from Midwest Supplies, and had a good experience.

Consider ordering more kegs than you have taps for, this way you can keep the pipeline going. Several vendors on here are selling 4 packs of cornies between 75 and 100 dollars at the moment. I have way more kegs than I have taps for, but I brew 10 gallon batches.

If you checked ebay and craigslist you could probably get it like this:

CO2 Tank 5lb: 35-45
Corny Keg: 25-30
Regulator 40
Hoses, connectors, picnic tap: 15

You might be able to go cheaper if you found a killer craigslist deal. However these prices are if you snag one off ebay at everyday prices.

Thanks kinda how I pieced mine together. That basic kit isn't unreasonalby priced.

If you were certain you were only doing 1 keg for the forseeable future I'd go for it. Otherwise maybe get a dual regulator w/two independent outputs so you can have say an english ale and a hefeweizen each carbed to style. That's gonna cost about twice as much for the regulator but is probably worth it.

You could possibly order a few perlicks and shanks and have real taps on your setup too. that would probably add another 75 dollars tops and you'd never have to open the kegerator again!

Planning ahead is a good idea, and I'm definitely interested in pursuing the idea of a dual regulator. Perlicks and shanks may be getting ahead of myself a bit, only because I probably won't be able to do a kegerator conversion for awhile now. I'm just looking for a picnic tap set up, because bottling is already getting old, and I've only been brewing for 4-5 months.

Thanks for the thoughts guys! :mug:

Back