getting started in kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmpolesov

Reaction score
I am not opposed to bottling but I want to have cornelius kegs too, to have more options like force carbonation, beer on tap, etc.

I have a local source of unrefurbed kegs for $35 ea.

I have a CO2 regulator and CO2 tank for my MIG welder. I will have to get a separate tank eventually I realize, because I don't want to lug that thing inside or have to move it around every time I want a beer or want to weld.

But just to get started, I can keg a batch, carbonate it with my existing tank, then I have some time to go and get my act together on getting a separate regulator an lightweight tank, right? I'll probably get a dual regulator because I eventually want to build a 2-keg kegerator from a sanyo 4912.

Or I could always go out to the garage every time I want a beer. naah!

That would work & you can draw a few before having to re-charge. I'd put a Y-connector in the line, one for MIG, one for beer. You'll be able to re-use the Y & beer line later.

why not run an air line from the garage to the house and youre done, all you have to do is dial up the preassure when you weld?

A Portable Co2 Keg Charger is an option until you get another tank. Once your beer is pressured up from your big tank you could bring your keg in your house and use the portable charger to dispense. It doesn't take more than a quick squeeze occasionally to keep it pouring. Admittedly, it's not as good as the tank but they are inexpensive and they work.

Back