Getting serious about water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a brewing water spreadsheet, to make sure that I add enough calcium to the water and then to ensure that the mash pH will be guestimated to be 5.3-5.5.

I know EZ water is, well, easy- but I like bru'nwater better for accuracy. EZ water is always wrong in predicting mash pH.

I was expecting "grains" as a smartass response. I give you points for creativity.

Heat first, grain second.

I am actually watching this thread because at work we use filtered water which works fine, but at home I am looking to experiment with custom treated water...but know nothing about it.

Yooper said:
I use a brewing water spreadsheet, to make sure that I add enough calcium to the water and then to ensure that the mash pH will be guestimated to be 5.3-5.5. I know EZ water is, well, easy- but I like bru'nwater better for accuracy. EZ water is always wrong in predicting mash pH.

Thanks, Yoop. I'm going to play around with these later. I assume you can tell it you are using RO water and it will start as if there are no minerals at all, correct?

I'm still learning water chemistry as well but for now I follow what's stated in brewing better beer. RO water and two teaspoons of either calcium chloride for malty beers, or calcium sulfate for hoppy beers per 5 gallons of beer.

Still waiting for this book to finally come out:

9780937381991_p0_v5_s260x420.JPG

mrrshotshot said:
I'm still learning water chemistry as well but for now I follow what's stated in brewing better beer. RO water and two teaspoons of either calcium chloride for malty beers, or calcium sulfate for hoppy beers per 5 gallons of beer. Still waiting for this book to finally come out:

I'm trying calcium chloride with RO water for the porter I'm brewing this weekend.

I'm trying calcium chloride with RO water for the porter I'm brewing this weekend.

I just tried two beers today from using that method and was very impressed. Amazing what changing the water and adding some minerals did. I think you'll be happy with your results. Good luck!

I just tried two beers today from using that method and was very impressed. Amazing what changing the water and adding some minerals did. I think you'll be happy with your results. Good luck!

My water without RO is about 150 ppm solids (TDS). With RO about 4 ppm solids. I wish I knew the mineral breakdown on the non-RO water and really should spend the $$ for getting it thoroughly tested.

Other than dilution of my tap water 1/2 and 1/2 with RO water, haven't tried adding back minerals to the RO.

Maybe you have motivated me!

I'm still learning water chemistry as well but for now I follow what's stated in brewing better beer. RO water and two teaspoons of either calcium chloride for malty beers, or calcium sulfate for hoppy beers per 5 gallons of beer.

Still waiting for this book to finally come out:

I just got my shipment notification from Amazon! I know what I am doing this weekend...

If you are going to strip everything out of the water(RO) you should know what to add back to it.

"trying calcium chloride" seems a bit half cocked.

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/home/files

This makes it pretty idiot proof. Pick a profile to go along with your beer, input your grain bill, play with mineral additions until your built water matches the profile guidelines.

Youve done the hard part...paying for the RO filter, now reap the benefits.

If you are going to strip everything out of the water(RO) you should know what to add back to it.

"trying calcium chloride" seems a bit half cocked.

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/home/files

This makes it pretty idiot proof. Pick a profile to go along with your beer, input your grain bill, play with mineral additions until your built water matches the profile guidelines.

Youve done the hard part...paying for the RO filter, now reap the benefits.

In the future I will get "more serious" and try this (Yooper already suggested it). But for this week, I am going to go the simpler route of adding calcium chloride. My biggest concern to date has been chlorine...at least I know I won't have that problem.

As for the Bru'n Water, that is going to take some time to figure out. I am not a science guy but I have a doctorate degree and use Excel every day...yet I am completely lost in that program right now (haven't taken a really serious look at it yet).

EDIT: and no RO filter. I bought 10 gallons of RO water from the store.

OK, I couldn't stand it so I played with Bru'n Water. If I am doing this correctly, I get a near perfect water profile for my grain bill by adding the calcium chloride as planned, and also adding a very small amount of baking soda to the mash.

Sub'd just because I'm in the same boat as the OP, and I'm planning to try the same thing this weekend.

Sub'd just because I'm in the same boat as the OP, and I'm planning to try the same thing this weekend.

How much calcium chloride are you planning to add? The software came up with 3.8 grams per 5 gallons (again, assuming I'm doing this correctly). I then looked up the weight of 1 teaspoon of calcium chloride and determined that a teaspoon weighs roughly 3.4 grams. Based on this, the software is coming up with roughly the same amount as Yoopers primer. But I then need 2.5 grams of baking soda to get my ph into range (I'll have to find out how much that equates to, as my scale isn't accurate enough to measure to 2.5 grams).

EDIT: a quick Google search tells me that to get 2.5 grams of baking soda, I want to use roughly 1/2 teaspoon. Sound legit?

Ridire said:
How much calcium chloride are you planning to add? The software came up with 3.8 grams per 5 gallons (again, assuming I'm doing this correctly). I then looked up the weight of 1 teaspoon of calcium chloride and determined that a teaspoon weighs roughly 3.4 grams. Based on this, the software is coming up with roughly the same amount as Yoopers primer. But I then need 2.5 grams of baking soda to get my ph into range (I'll have to find out how much that equates to, as my scale isn't accurate enough to measure to 2.5 grams).

EDIT: a quick Google search tells me that to get 2.5 grams of baking soda, I want to use roughly 1/2 teaspoon. Sound legit?

Not quite sure yet. I have a little more homework to do. I'll probably just stick with the recommendations in the primer this time.

Back