getting rid of iron

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack13

Reaction score
I have very high iron content (0.885 ppm), which I suspect is contributing to a tendency for my beers to oxidize in the bottle.

Following advice on this forum, I purchased an iron filter a while back (this one: http://www.filterwater.com/pc-142-5-iron-removal-filter.aspx?gclid=ckdf5lr1tmwcfznbhgod7ucncq).

However, no matter how much water I ran through to try to clear it, the water came out gray. So, I instead started using the filter that came with the filter unit (a carbon filter) which does not remove iron. It did make my tap water taste better, though (got rid of a metallic aftertaste), so I went with it anyway. Been doing that for about 15 brews. But many have oxidized.

Anyway, I'm really trying to tackle this oxidation problem. Anyone who has had a beer they really like suddenly become a beer they can tolerate can sympathize! Based on threads about oxidation, I don't think there is anything wrong in my process that's leading to too much O2 in my beer, so I'm thinking it's the iron.

Assuming iron is indeed the cause (but I went into detail in case there's anything above that raises an eyebrow), here are my questions:

1) Anyone else use an iron filter and can't get it to run clean? If so, did you solve the problem? Or alternatively is the gray OK?

2) If there is no such solution, do you think running two filters in line (this type: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Inlin...g84NvyJXgHVDfT4B0IXpswmKMwaSVYWhgoBoCnC3w_wcB), would work? First through the iron filter, then through the carbon filter?

I still want to ask that second question, but an update: I ran water through my iron filter, then put it through my Brita pitcher. It's less gray, but definitely still gray. Tasted it. Could be imagination, but it may be a little gritty.

Finally, some more info it occurred to me to point out: When the water first starts to filter, the water coming out is almost black, then quickly lightens to the gray I've been describing.

Is store bought RO not an option? 39 cents a gallon at wallyworld. Or a home RO system? Sorry I can't answer your questions, they give me a headache so I just buy my water.

Is store bought RO not an option? 39 cents a gallon at wallyworld. Or a home RO system? Sorry I can't answer your questions, they give me a headache so I just buy my water.

For some reason, RO water here is more expensive than the prices many posters have cited (e.g., yours, at $0.39/gal). The absolute cheapest I can find around here is a fish/aquarium place, which charges $1.00/gallon.

But speaking of RO water.

Not sure yet if this is the way I want to go, but does anyone have any experience with the filter system below? Or if not can anyone think of a reason this type of system would not solve my iron problem?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-...-System-Reverse-Osmosis-Filtration/1000065237

Never mind. Talked to whirlpool and was told these types of units do not filter out iron, and if you have iron in your water it will clog up the filters. I guess an RO system is off the table, and at $1.00/gallon purchasing RO isn't my best bet either.

I could buy spring water. Does anyone do that, and know what I should add to it, if anything?

I may be wrong, but I don't think iron would contribute to oxidation... oxidation happens because of oxygen doing what it does best. If there was a lot of iron in your brewing water, and also a lot of oxygen, the oxygen may oxidize the iron (rust), but I think that would be a very different issue than standard beer oxidation off flavors.

As stated above, RO is probably your best bet... do you have a Safeway or Whole Foods nearby? They'd be a whole lot cheaper than a aquarium supply place. I pay $0.51/gal at Whole Foods, just because wallyworld is 15 miles up the road.

Edit: also, yes, spring water would be a big improvement. There are minerals in there, but it's usually a good baseline for brewing water. RO is nice if you're wanting to add your own minerals, but spring water is easier.

This all caused me to go around again and check RO prices. To my surprise, my local walmart (which I never knew was nicknamed Wallyworld until today. Awesome) has changed their RO offering. It used to be $6.99 for 5 gal, but they have a new system now (Primo water), and it's only $0.37/gal! I'll be taking that route for the foreseeable future...

Thanks, all.

Back