Getting rid of cable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never paid for cable other than when I split the bill with roommates in college- their choice. I use Netflix, hulu amazon prime etc. Recently got a smart TV with an integrated HD antenna and now I have all the basic local networks through that. I talked a bit about it with a coworker and he needed to cut funds after having another kid, so he both dropped cable and switched his cell phone provider to StraightTalk without contracts- ended up saving about $200/month!

My list of demands. Find me a solution and the DirecTV box gets it!

1) I want one "box" at each TV. Only one box. Not a box and a Chromecast. Not a Roku and a Amazon Fire TV Stick. One box. No changing inputs.
2) It has to be easy to use. If it's not easy to use, my wife will *NOT* allow me to get rid of DirecTV.
3) It must play saved movies (either on its own storage or streamed from a NAS).
4) It should be able to record OTA channels (I will buy an antenna as needed).
5) Preferred to be able to playback Amazon Prime Video and Hulu Plus.
6) Preferred to be able to playback Sling TV.
7) Ideally the "main" box at the primary TV will be able to stream video to the "clients" at each other TV. However, if I have to go to a single server (NAS/etc not connected to TV) and then each TV is purely a client, I can do that too.

I think that's about it. I've been playing with XBMC (now known as Kodi), but it doesn't support Amazon and Hulu. Yes, I know I can get access to basically ANY content through potentially less-than-legal streaming via XBMC add-ons, but frankly I'd rather use a simple interface like Hulu or Amazon because it's easier for the family, and because I feel better about it anyway.

My original goal was a mini-PC at the main TV, and then an Intel Compute Stick at each of the other TVs, all running XBMC. But since Amazon and Hulu won't work, I'm not sure where to go...

Thoughts?

I live on the dark side of beyond and there aren't any HD channels that can be picked up around here so I can't vouch for the OTA part but the rest of it can be done by the system I use. Sickbeard and SABnzbd get me regular TV shows. Plex on my media server keeps everything organized. A Roku on each TV handles streaming from the server, NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. I don't use SlingTV but if you want to playback remotely there's a Plex client for Android, Apple, Windows, etc.

Edit: I just checked my email and found one from Roku. They now have a Sling TV channel.

I live on the dark side of beyond and there aren't any HD channels that can be picked up around here so I can't vouch for the OTA part but the rest of it can be done by the system I use. Sickbeard and SABnzbd get me regular TV shows. Plex on my media server keeps everything organized. A Roku on each TV handles streaming from the server, NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. I don't use SlingTV but if you want to playback remotely there's a Plex client for Android, Apple, Windows, etc.

Edit: I just checked my email and found one from Roku. They now have a Sling TV channel.

Using your setup, can you catch Pittsburgh Steelers games? It sounds like we might not be too far away from each other geographically. Allegheny Nat'l Forest area.

One day I'll tell my grandchildren about the days when I was a kid and could flick through hundreds of channels instantly.

I can't help but wonder if we're heading towards internet tv where you have to wait for each channel and then each individual show to load.

The sad thing is that the large cable companies also own the internet. Time Warner clears %95 profit on internet and still tacks on modem lease fees and keeps moving towards tiered packages that count the number of MB you use. YUP, you are gonna end up paying cable style prices just for internet in the end. And you'll be paying extra for the shows on top of that.

I cut my cable cord about a year ago. I have rabbit ears for an antenna and pull in a beautiful digital signal for the local network stations and PBS. I also have a Roku. Provided you have decent internet service and a decent router .. you can get quality streaming signals on the Roku. Unfortunately .. anything other than PBS worth watching you still have to pay for. There are loads of free viewing content .. but not much worth watching. Everything free viewing except for PBS is pretty lame. You can watch some college football, college basketball, and NFL games provided it's being broadcast by your local network stations. If the rabbit ears don't pull in the signal strong enough .. you can put a better antenna in the attic or on your roof .. and even get a rotor .. to spin the antenna around for directional situations .. like in the 1960's.
If you are a MLB fan like myself .. I figured I would get the MLB package on Roku .. and I'd be set. Wrong. If MLB considers your team .. your local team .. MLB will black the game out .. until the game is over. I live near Charlotte, NC .. and want to watch the Atlanta Braves from almost two states away .. but MLB says that's my local team .. so it's blacked out. You may be able to get around the black out .. by fooling MLB into thinking you live in another section of the country .. but you have to pay for that service too .. and it's probably borderline illegal. You can use something like "Sling" .. but someone still has to pay for the cable service and I think only one person can use "Sling" at a time.

I don't miss my cable at all .. except for sports viewing. I find the commercials on the network stations even more irritating now that I don't have cable. I don't think I will ever go back to cable or a service like "Dish". In the mean time .. I keep my eyes and ears open for methods to view the content I want to view .. when I want to watch it.

I haven't paid for TV service in at least 5 years.

I do pay for netflix and hulu, I watch tons of stuff on youtube related to whatever topic I happen to be obsessed with at the moment. And a little knowledge on how to use torrents goes a LONG way.

I do however pay extra for a fast internet connection.

The sad thing is that the large cable companies also own the internet. Time Warner clears %95 profit on internet and still tacks on modem lease fees and keeps moving towards tiered packages that count the number of MB you use. YUP, you are gonna end up paying cable style prices just for internet in the end. And you'll be paying extra for the shows on top of that.

I don't think this will happen. The expectation has already been established that internet access is unlimited, I don't think TWC can put that cat back in the bag. Also, Google Fiber has been rolled out in many cities, with more to come. Other cities are building their own wireless networks. Those types of services will put downward price pressure on the traditional cable/internet companies and they'll have to start competing for business.

As long as the public remains aware of the things like net neutrality and sweetheart deals between cable companies and the gov...I see internet getting cheaper, not more expensive.

The biggest things would be the FCC regulating the internet. Opening up the power poles to companies like Google Fiber.

I don't think this will happen. The expectation has already been established that internet access is unlimited, I don't think TWC can put that cat back in the bag.

It is already happening. AT&T, TW, Cox, and many others have silently implemented a soft bandwidth limit on accounts. I say soft because, so far, I dunno how heavily they are enforcing it.

I am consistently 50GB over my limit according to the letters I get.

I have yet to be charged but they do urge me to upgrade to the next tier for more available bandwidth. I refuse, I have had this very same account for nearly 12 years and there was no bandwidth limit when I bought in.

BW and speed limits were HUGE issues when I was going to college in Montreal. I couldn't fathom being BW limited and had friends that were getting slapped with huge fees for going over insanely low (like 10-15 gig) caps.

Since I wanted neither a landline or TV I went with some small, unheard of company with no caps.

My list of demands. Find me a solution and the DirecTV box gets it!

1) I want one "box" at each TV. Only one box. Not a box and a Chromecast. Not a Roku and a Amazon Fire TV Stick. One box. No changing inputs.
2) It has to be easy to use. If it's not easy to use, my wife will *NOT* allow me to get rid of DirecTV.
3) It must play saved movies (either on its own storage or streamed from a NAS).
5) Preferred to be able to playback Amazon Prime Video and Hulu Plus.
6) Preferred to be able to playback Sling TV.
7) Ideally the "main" box at the primary TV will be able to stream video to the "clients" at each other TV. However, if I have to go to a single server (NAS/etc not connected to TV) and then each TV is purely a client, I can do that too.

I think that's about it. I've been playing with XBMC (now known as Kodi), but it doesn't support Amazon and Hulu. Yes, I know I can get access to basically ANY content through potentially less-than-legal streaming via XBMC add-ons, but frankly I'd rather use a simple interface like Hulu or Amazon because it's easier for the family, and because I feel better about it anyway.

My original goal was a mini-PC at the main TV, and then an Intel Compute Stick at each of the other TVs, all running XBMC. But since Amazon and Hulu won't work, I'm not sure where to go...

Thoughts?

MOst of those can be done by a Roku. Especially paired up with a PC and the prior mentioned Plex. The recording portion would have to be done in computer most likely with a tv capture/tuner card. Shouldnt be any issues with a good antenna connection. Setting it all up to work would be your biggest hassle. Use should be easy for the more technologically luddite.

Edit: Didnt realize there was another page.. my mistake

It is already happening. AT&T, TW, Cox, and many others have silently implemented a soft bandwidth limit on accounts. I say soft because, so far, I dunno how heavily they are enforcing it.

I am consistently 50GB over my limit according to the letters I get.

I have yet to be charged but they do urge me to upgrade to the next tier for more available bandwidth. I refuse, I have had this very same account for nearly 12 years and there was no bandwidth limit when I bought in.

They way they enforce their soft limits is to throttle your bandwidth. They slow down your maximum connection speed more and more depending on how much you use.

MOst of those can be done by a Roku. Especially paired up with a PC and the prior mentioned Plex. The recording portion would have to be done in computer most likely with a tv capture/tuner card. Shouldnt be any issues with a good antenna connection. Setting it all up to work would be your biggest hassle. Use should be easy for the more technologically luddite.

You only need the tuner card if you're recording off of cable, satellite or antenna. If you're getting your shows off the internet via SickBeard or similar all then you need is an internet connection.

You only need the tuner card if you're recording off of cable, satellite or antenna. If you're getting your shows off the internet via SickBeard or similar all then you need is an internet connection.

Was referring to point 4

Not sure of sickbeard or similar, they must be streaming of OTA shows then?

I cut the cord last year, and use an OTA antenna to get my locals, and Netflix/Hulu/Amazon for most other things. That said, I use some...let's call them grey area websites to stream sports...

MLB is looking to remove their blackout restrictions soon. At that point, I would gladly pay for MLB.TV. In fact, I would GLADLY pay for cable if I got some sort of a la carte option. I hate paying $80/month when I'm only really watching 5 channels. Let me pay $20/month for JUST those channels, and you have a deal.

I'm seriously thinking about this. I have a bundle right now that's running about $150 with a pretty fast bandwith connection. I need that for work. I talked to a rep, and if I dropped the cable, then my internet bill will go up to $82 a month. I don't know... they have me in a headlock.

what if you downgraded to basic cable and got rid of all boxes? You dont actually need a box to get more than the basic stuff

Was referring to point 4

Not sure of sickbeard or similar, they must be streaming of OTA shows then?

I'm 2-3 hours drive through the mountains from the nearest city with a TV station. Antennas are not an option for me so I've never looked to see if SickBeard or it's competitors support OTA streaming. Since SickBeard looks for NZB files and then turns them over to a downloader program I'd doubt it but who knows.

And frankly, I've never really needed the OTA recording since I'm getting pretty much any show out there within minutes of an episode ending...often, yes, streaming from the broadcaster's website.

I'm seriously thinking about this. I have a bundle right now that's running about $150 with a pretty fast bandwith connection. I need that for work. I talked to a rep, and if I dropped the cable, then my internet bill will go up to $82 a month. I don't know... they have me in a headlock.

So you are going to keep paying for a service(s) you don't want/need, to get a better deal on the internet service price? Dropping cables saves you $68, plain and simple.

I stopped watching tv maybe 10-15 years ago. If I ever start again, every re-run movie will seem brand new to me.

They way they enforce their soft limits is to throttle your bandwidth. They slow down your maximum connection speed more and more depending on how much you use.

I have not noticed any throttling either. But, it may also be that our tier is high enough that when they do throttle it is not a major impact on performance. 100/20 (IIRC per last speedtest) cable iNet.

So you are going to keep paying for a service(s) you don't want/need, to get a better deal on the internet service price? Dropping cables saves you $68, plain and simple.

Well, dropping the cable will make them rip me off on the internet bill.

The main reason I haven't dropped cable is for football in the fall. Otherwise, it's useless to me.

I know the technology is there to pick, choose and pay for only the channels you want but they refuse to give customers the options.
I recently asked Cox about this and they said it will likely be something cable companies will look to in the future. I think some satellite companies give you options similar to this.
I only watch about 15 or so channels regularly so why am I paying for 300? I don't want any shopping channels are 24/7 Mob Wives or the rerun channel. For Pete's sake, I don't go to the beer store for a bomber of Enjoy By and have to buy every other bomber that is in there!

So much of the decision depends on what you "need", and what you need is dependent on current viewing habits you can't imagine giving up. 7+ years ago I disconnected cable TV out of necessity (a divorce and new living arrangements) and when I was in a position to afford to get it reconnected, I chose not to. I had become accustomed to filling my "TV time" with other interests, and was amazed at how much more time I had for other pursuits. We used Netflix for a time, but found we didn't watch enough to make it worth it, and then signed up for Amazon Prime, for both the streaming and the shipping. We recently bought a Roku stick mostly for the ease of navigating the few things we do watch, like Amazon video and PBS. There are lots of "channels" on Roku, but we honestly don't watch many of them, as our habit is no longer to sit in front of a TV. If either of us watched sports, then this wouldn't work, but we're not, so it's fine. We round out our viewing with Redbox, the library, and occasionally the purchase of a TV series on DVD.
In the end, we pay $96/month (inc. taxes) for internet (no cap, 6mbs down/1mbs up) and two mobile phones with "unlimited" talk, text and data (5Gb cap that can be busted twice a year).
Honestly, if I had not been forced to go without cable, I would probably still have it, thinking of it as a "must have". In the end, I'm glad to not have the wasted time or the extra expense.

Gave up cable since I moved out of my parents. I like channel surfing at SWMBOs parents house when we watch their dog or something, but I get really really sick of channel surfing after about 2 days, I want to go back to my PS3 with Netflix and Hulu. Some shows I don't mind watching week to week and sports I just go to a local bar to eat and drink and watch the game, otherwise I CANNOT stand waiting each week for a new episode of a show I'll put up with it on some shows on Hulu but I can watch it when I want to watch it.

I *LOVE* when charter calls me up and says "Hey would you like to sign up for a package deal and get phone/tv/internet and SAVE MONEY, YOU ARE SAVING MONEY" and I get to ask them this.

Arkot: "So I am saving money by getting TV and Phone and Internet?"
Poor Phone Operator that doesnt get paid enough to put up wtih me:"Yes you'll get all of those for 300 dollars"
Arkot:"Ok but, I get my internet service for free through my job so I'm not saving any money by signing up for your internet service."
Phone Operator: "Oh, well you'd have free long distance calls with our land line"
Arkot: "I already have a cell phone that you called me on, why would I ever need a land line? Even if theres any reasons to have a land line in this day and age why would I spend *more* money for phone service when I already have a cell phone, so you're not saving me money there"
Phone Operator: "BUt our cable TV service gives you blah blah blah channels and On Demand TV"
Arkot:"Ok but, I have Netflix and Hulu, I can "On Demand" watch whatever I want whenever I want to, or rent newer movies at a Redbox at the store, so unless you can offer me the cable TV part for under 25 dollars a month, the phone service for free, and the internet service for better than free you arent going to save me any money... Stop calling me"

OK, I'm fed up with the high prices for services that I really don't want/need. I'm cutting the cord and going to put an antenna on my TVs. I'll have internet and will use netflix/huluplus to stream as I want. I still want a DVR to record over the air TV and looking at the Channel Master DVR+. Does anyone here have one or something else and how happy are you with it???

Yeah, here in Finland we pay 1.5% of gross income as tax to the public broadcaster, whether we watch them or don't even own a tv. Previously, it was about 185 euro per year for everyone and you could opt out if you didn't own a tv.

Probably the reason that cable companies will not do the pick and choose channel lineups is that it would not make them as much money. When you can make your own 'basic' cable package with the half dozen channels you actually watch, how will they manage to get the $100+/month that they normally do. Sure they could up the rates per channel for that package, but you would still lose out. Many of the lesser watched channels try to catch surfers with a show that interests you at the moment and as a result gain a viewer, these channels wouldnt get that exposure otherwise and they would then most likely go out of business. A probable more feasible option would be to have more granular of packages so they relate in genre. For example: I want sports channels, home renovation/DIY channels, as well as movie channels (FX, AMC, etc), I do not want the Liftetime and home shopping style channels. Maybe if they bundled channels in packages that way it would be a healthy medium and still be profitable in both cases aside from just being the basic cable then add the tiers and a few other packages that are that way, only the super premium channels.

I guess the tldr of it all is that it isnt profitable for them to do so, I mean who would subscribe to QVC or some of the other channels that only get watched by accident or you see something interesting in the TV guide listing?

I'll soon be "dropping" cable as well. Google Fiber finally sent the email to let me know they're ready to install in the house. Nothing like one GB download speeds (they're saying the same for upload speeds). I watched my brother in law download a 4 gig file in 5 seconds.

At any rate, I'm still stuck for watching my shows recently. I've looked into using the torrents to get some of the shows I watch. Like someone said I've got another family member that I can get access to AMC to watch The Walking Dead and HBO Game of Thrones (when people aren't crashing the site). Past that for me it's watching football. Others have mentioned it but I'll be getting an antenna for that.

The thing I've been debating is getting a few Chromecast's to put into each of the three tv's we have. That way I can stream things from the iPhones and computer to the TV. Anyone have any experience with that? Is it simply streaming from the phone and saying send to TV?

Yep, I don't think I've followed up, but y'all have convinced me.

I'm switching from XBMC to Plex.

I'm going to sign up for Sling TV, who is doing a "buy 3 months, get a Roku Stick free), and then buy another Roku Stick for the upstairs TV. (My third TV, in the garage, already has a Fire TV Stick and since I'm the only one who watches it, I don't mind it being a different interface than what the wife/family use).

That, and adding Hulu Plus, should cover it all.

As soon as March Madness is over, buh-bye DirecTV!

I watched my brother in law download a 4 gig file in 5 seconds.

Minimum theoretical speed to transfer 4 gigabytes on a 1 gigabit network is 32 seconds and you can not achieve that without a coordinated effort on highly tuned devices. So. no you didn't.

Yep, I don't think I've followed up, but y'all have convinced me.

I'm switching from XBMC to Plex.

I'm going to sign up for Sling TV, who is doing a "buy 3 months, get a Roku Stick free), and then buy another Roku Stick for the upstairs TV. (My third TV, in the garage, already has a Fire TV Stick and since I'm the only one who watches it, I don't mind it being a different interface than what the wife/family use).

That, and adding Hulu Plus, should cover it all.

As soon as March Madness is over, buh-bye DirecTV!

Plex is good. I had a crapton of issues with it through it's early relase with Roku and opted to go with PlayOn instead. I did really like how Plex organized a local DVD collection but it was really laggy, had a lot of buffering, and the occasional issue ID'ing a specific DVD title.

Minimum theoretical speed to transfer 4 gigabytes on a 1 gigabit network is 32 seconds and you can not achieve that without a coordinated effort on highly tuned devices. So. no you didn't.

The last thing I saw for theoretical limits was written in 2009 and that gave you the limit of 125 MB per sec which is how you got your 32 seconds. I'm guessing a few things have changed since then because I know it was 4 gig and if it wasn't 5 seconds it was damn close.

If it wasn't 5 seconds it was damn close.

1 gigabit = 1000000000 bits
1 Gigabyte = 8000000000 bits
4 gigabytes = 32000000000 bits

32/1 = 32 ...

Thus, 32 seconds is the minimum possible transfer time on a perfectly configured system. And thus, not likely.

I cut the cord 3 years ago.

I have a hauppage tv tuner card on my pc i bought for about 80 bucks. This is receives the antenna feed. I the use windows media center to record shows.

I use plex to play what is on the pc to my tvs. I do not have smart tvs, but i use roku for the netflix and for plex.

I find i watch less tv, which is a good thing. But when i want to watch it i gave plenty if options. My kids don't even know what cable is. Hah!

Good luck!

This...

1 gigabit = 1000000000 bits
1 Gigabyte = 8000000000 bits
4 gigabytes = 32000000000 bits

32/1 = 32 ...

Thus, 32 seconds is the minimum possible transfer time on a perfectly configured system. And thus, not likely.

So I truly dislike people that lie and it really bugged me when this was proofed out along with Podz post. Which in turn made me phone bomb my brother in law til he answered.

I asked him about it and the short answer is we were all right. It was a 4 gig file and it did take about 5 seconds. You and Podz were right in two words...resume download. A-hole made me think he downloaded it in 5 seconds.

So I truly dislike people that lie and it really bugged me when this was proofed out along with Podz post. Which in turn made me phone bomb my brother in law til he answered.

I asked him about it and the short answer is we were all right. It was a 4 gig file and it did take about 5 seconds. You and Podz were right in two words...resume download. A-hole made me think he downloaded it in 5 seconds.

By way of deception we shall make war. Or sales.

Back