Getting rid of a cigarette smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jota

Reaction score
I just inherited a bunch of old budweiser bottles that are of the non-twist off variety. unfortunately the person that had them before was a heavy smoker and the bottles smell like it. ideas on getting rid of the smell? I was thinking of filling up my bathtub with hot/warm water and putting in like 2 cups of bleach and letting them soak. Then rinsing them all like it was my job. I have straight-a clear i could use as well though.

ideas?

Glass will not hold any smell (dirt & labels will), so get them clean & the labels off. They'll be fine.

I used Oxyclean for the first time last month & was impressed with its ability to remove & de-gum bottles. Freaky slippery stuff though!

if one is goign to fill up a bathtub to do this, how many scoops do you think i need? like 4?

When was the last time Bud used the non-twist off bottles? Those things have got to be pretty old... Maybe keep 1 or 2 with the labels for as collectors items.

Actually, I think A-B still sells them with pry-off tops to bars, don't they? I know I've seen them, maybe ~5 years ago?

ok i grabbed two out of the tub. labels still in tact

RichBrewer said:
Got a pic of them you could share?
I kept three of them:

top2.jpg

vert.jpg

cheezydemon said:
I think POP TOP says non twist off if we are talking bottles.

I've always called them crown top but I have no idea if it's correct. As far as using old bottles, I have been pulling from my Dad's old bottle repository that consists of bottles that are at LEAST 10 years old. I soak them in a bleach solution for a few days then run them through my dishwasher with no soap and heat dry and they're just like new.
I think I may try to switch to an Oxy bath though since I need to buy more of it anyway. I think it'll work faster than the bleach solution and be a little more environmentally friendly.

nb

I never even knew that AB used non-twist bottles. Just from the look of the bottle in the pics I'd guess that they're at least 20 years old, of not more.

hey guys, after cleaning them i noticed a lot of them have scratches on the outside. any way to clean them up to be less noticeable? i read about cerium oxide but can i use that with brown?

I have around 3 cases of A-B pry-off "Returnables" They are a thicker and heavier than a standard pry off bottle. I got them from a bar that I used to bartend for around 7 years ago. We requested them from our distributor for environmental reasons. I know that our local distributor quit messing with them, but I believe that alot of distributors will still supply them if the bar or restaurant requests them. I know that we paid a $3 per case deposit on them, which of course was refunded back for every case of empties we returned. It may be worth a few phone calls to some A-B distributors to see if they still offer these.

Back