Getting ready to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpwater

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing with one batch in the secondary. It's an amber ale truebrew kit.Now i want to brew another batch with the extract i ordered.I have 1 can (3.3 lbs) muntons hopped amber lme and 3 lbs. muntons extra light dme plus 1 oz. cascade hops and a pack of muntons standard yeast.I just want a simple easy brew that I can enjoy in about 5 weeks, nothing fancy.This is what i have on hand and the question is, will it make a decent brew if i do my part? One more thing,my favorite beer is Sam adams boston lager and thats why i started brewing, thinking some day i could turn out a brew almost as good. Thanks

Sounds like a fine start. It will not taste like a lager of any kind, but it will still be beer. If you have a homebrew supply store around, it would be better to have a better yeast, like a Nottingham or Safale. Both are less than 4$. And if you want a smooth beer, try to keep it in a colder room.

I am starting out as well. Have two batches under my belt. I think it's good to start out slow. I plan on spending the good part of a year doing kits before i start experimenting.

Do you know the IBUs in the hopped LME? Is it sufficient for a 5 gallon batch of Pale Ale? If so, use that for your bittering hops and the cascade for flavor and aroma (maybe 1/3 oz at 15, 5 and 0 minutes to go).

If you can get half pound of crystal (20L to 60L range), that will add more flavor.

Change the yeast. I don't think Muntons Standard yeast is very attenuative, and will leave you with a sweet beer. Use Notty, US-05 or S-04, and you will have a much better beer.

Thanks folks, the tips on the yeast is very helpful. I think I will order some nottingham and try it. Here I am getting ready to brew a new batch and my first ain't even ready to bottle yet.

Ha , thats how im doin it. except 2 gallon batches plan on makin one every 2 weeks.ive just brewed my own pumkin, third batch now.small batches are great for experimenting.since im doing my own recipes is nice not to have to drink another 50 bottles of something that didnt turn out so good. i was getting a too fruity appely taste/smellwith my first two and im coming to the conclusion that it was my 82 degree pitch temp.dont know if it was also from too many willamette hops,though

Do you know the IBUs in the hopped LME? Is it sufficient for a 5 gallon batch of Pale Ale? If so, use that for your bittering hops and the cascade for flavor and aroma (maybe 1/3 oz at 15, 5 and 0 minutes to go).

If you can get half pound of crystal (20L to 60L range), that will add more flavor.

Change the yeast. I don't think Muntons Standard yeast is very attenuative, and will leave you with a sweet beer. Use Notty, US-05 or S-04, and you will have a much better beer.

Kinda late to reply i guess but i am getting ready to brew this batch tonight. As to the IBUs, the can of hopped lme says bitterness (ebu)45-55 so i'm thinkin thats good and will add the hops as you recomended. i also changed the yeast to nottingham.Thanks for the help and forgive my ignorance of all the terms used in brewing, I've got a slow brain and it takes a while to soak in.Best wishes for the holidays.

Back