Getting Ready to Brew First Home Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmac58

Reaction score
I bought the Groupon for the Midwest Supplies beginner kit and need to decide which kit to order. The only beer I'm used to is domestics like Budweiser, Coors, etc. I'm fairly sure the Irish Stout isn't a good first choice. I'm leaning towards the Autumn Ale but I'm not sure enough about the flavor profiles to completely rule out the Irish Red. Any insight between the two would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you are used to bud and coors, you may want to try a cream ale if they have one. It's a pretty un-offending beer

Unfortunately they aren't offering any of those, just Irish Red Ale, Autumn Amber Ale, and Irish Stout. Would be nice if they would offer the cream ale for newbies.

I would say the Amber. It is not a lite American lager, but in my arrogant opinion that is a good thing. Should have some good character to it (nice malt base and hop profile) without being too strong for someone used to drinking lighter beer.

I vote for the Irish Red. Go to a local pub and try an autumn amber, an irish red, an irish stout and see which you like best.

idahobrew said:
I vote for the Irish Red. Go to a local pub and try an autumn amber, an irish red, an irish stout and see which you like best.

+1, Irish reds are pretty tame, and tasty

Whatever style you choose, you should definitely go to a bar or liquor store and sample some of that particular style. When I drank BMC, I would have thrown my first stout or IPA away if I hadn't had that style before, bcause ita so different. You should at least have an idea of what to expect with your first brew, so you know if it turned out like it should. Just my opinion.

Either the Irish Red or the Amber. They are all somewhat more flavorful than the Am. Light Lagers you are used to, but compared to the stout, probably the best choice.

They are all the same process to make, the only real difference is the ingredients.

I'd brew the Irish Red, but only because I've never made one...

Back