Getting ready for 2nd ever brew, couple questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrellQ

Reaction score
I have a kit called "Kama Citra Session IPA," with Safale US-05 dry yeast. First question. I've assembled an aquarium pump with aeration wand, but the instructions say to "seal the fermentor and rock back and forth to splash for a few minutes" to aerate wort. Should I do that or use my aquarium pump? If I use my aquarium pump, how long should I aerate?

Also, the instructions say to "place the fermentor in a warm, dark, quiet spot for fermentation." I have no idea what they mean by "warm." I built a small refrigerator fermentation chamber with a controller so I can ferment at any temp I want. What temperature would be best?

Many thanks for your input.

Cheers!

The latest information says that dry yeast needs no aeration, everything necessary for propagation is in the packet of yeast. You can rehydrate before pitching or just sprinkle the yeast on top.

I think the preferred temperature for US-05 is 65F. Since you have the controller, use it.

from my BK to fermentor (plastic bucket) I just let my wort fall into the bucket. With us-05 works well at 60-65F. If you read the package of yeast it gives a ideal range of 59-71F For now I Ferment in my basement which has a range of 60-72F, depending on the year. I have not had any issues with us-05 with those temps.

I use a sanitized sieve/strainer to pour the cooled wort into the fermentation bucket or carboy. Doing that drains out the gunk, and also aerates the wort prior to pitching the yeast. I have never had problems with US-05 either...even without any type of rehydration or aeration. That being said, if you end up using the aquarium pump to aerate, make sure you sanitize anything touching the liquid.

Also remember that if you use the fermentation and temp controller, the liquid inside the vessel will be a couple to a few degrees warmer than the ambient temps in the chamber. The process of fermentation generates heat. For example, if you ferment at a yeast's higher threshold and measure if by the ambient temp of the chamber/room, you run the risks of off-flavors.

Welcome to the hobby. Go ahead and try the aquarium pump if you think your sanitation practices are up to snuff. Have you cleaned the stone and boiled it in water before submerging it in sanitizer and not touching it with your bare skin?

I'm going to assume you're fermenting in a plastic container with an airlock.

If you have heat and cooling through temp control, tape the probe to one side of your fermenter and cover it with insulation. Tape a heating mat to the other side of your fermenter. If you don't have a heating mat, seed germination mats work great (cheap and rated for water exposed environments).

Pitch your yeast at 65 and set a 1 degree band on heating and cooling on your controller. When you get to around 1.020, raise the temp to 68 and ride it out until you're fully attenuated. (temperature raise of any beer at the end of fermentation eats up diacetyl, however more prominent in lagers)

If you have CO2, fill a balloon and attach it to an empty airlock (assuming your fermenter is gas tight (maybe a fermonster?)) Then cold crash your beer to 33 degrees. If you have a freezer, you'll have to do this in steps because of overshoot. A fridge should be fine. Let it the yeast drop for a couple days then transfer to your serving vessel of choice (preferable a corny keg).

Have fun.

Just brewed that kit a few months ago.

Simple aeration is fine, don’t do anything that will increase risk of infection. It’s normal gravity and dry yeast will be just fine for pitch rate.

Just a heads up there will be a strong stinging bitterness, but it will mellow and blend.

Latest posts

Back