Getting prominent yeasty flavors in my wheat bees/comments on my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kef300

Reaction score
*can't edit the "bees" out of the title, haha. Sorry.

Hey guys,

Several months ago I brewed a weisbier which I thought was quite yeasty. I attributed this to my grain bill being about 85% malted wheat

I recently brewed a 5 gallon dunkelweisen batch as follows:
4.4 lb 2-row pale malt
4 lb munich
3.3 lb wheat malt
0.55 lb 120L caramel malt
0.9 lb oats
1 oz hallertau at 60 min (4.7%)
0.25 oz hallertau at 10 min (4.7%)
WB-06 yeast

Mashed at 156F for an hour

Fermented for 12 days at 75F (maybe a bit high)
Racked to secondary, left at 36F for 3 days

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.012

Kegged, force carbed at 30psi for 60 hours, turned down to 12psi. It's been at 12 for 3 days. Feels properly carbed by now.

The first half beer from the keg comes out quite yeasty, I use a spare cup for this. However, the next beers still taste yeasty and not necessarily as I expected.

Is this a flocculation issue? Should I give more time for the yeast to settle in my keg? Any errors/advice on my recipe?

I am a bit confused. Wheat beers typically are cloudy and have a stronger yeast character. The first pour from the keg after carbonation usually has a bunch of yeast in it that you want to discard but after that it should be fine. If you want more to settle out it will.. just give it time. After a few weeks at refrigerator temps it will settle and clear. For me that is a problem with doing wheat beers in kegs. I want some yeast left in suspension and unlike a bottle you can't swirl the bottom around and pour the yeast in.

Gotta also agree with the above, these beer styles are supposed to have a yeast character to them. Are you going for an authentic german style hefeweizen? Or were you expecting something more like Blue Moon? American style wheat beers are not brewed with the same yeast as their authentic german/belgian counterparts, so that could be your issue right there. But if you ARE looking for that more authentic style then perhaps you need to look at changing (lowering) your fermentation temp or trying a different yeast. Perhaps a liquid yeast option from Wyeast or White Labs will give you more of the character you're looking for.

I agree with what you guys have said above, however I feel the "yeastiness" is above even desired levels for the style. This made me think there maybe was a problem with my grain bill and what I was attributing to yeast was maybe due to the grains used in those amounts.

I'm betting on the fermentation temp. I ferment my Heffe at 62F (using White Labs Heffe yeast, i think WLP300 but too lazy to look it up right now) and that comes out just right.. though it does take a few weeks to finish.

Back