Getting licensing and a math problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opiate42

Reaction score
Cotacachi, Ecuador (formerly Toronto, Canada)
Hey gang,

I'm trying to get licensed to sell my Hebrew at some cafes and restaurants in town and the gov has asked for a % breakdown of our beer ingredients in the final beer itself. An example I've seen breaks down like this:

Water 88%
Malt 8%
Hops 3%
Yeast 1%

But what I don't understand is how to even calculate those numbers as this is evidently for the final product all being liquidy and stuff.

Anyone have any idea? Given the solid weights of hops and malt used in a recipe are strained out the weights are no longer relevant so I'm at a complete loss on how to figure this out short of just making **** up ;)

I suggest you post this on probrewer. Much more likely to get an informed answer.

I read they like to know what's in it so they can tax you properly. If you're claiming 5.2% abv and your recipe looks like 8.2% abv, there will be questions.

All the Best,
D. White

I'd suggest talking to a lawyer in your jurisdiction familiar with alcohol taxation laws. If that is not an option for you then you should talk to the taxing authority at issue to see what they expect from other brewers.

I think they want the breakdown in kilograms to compute the percentages. A liter of water would weigh a kilo if I remember correctly.

Back