Getting into kegging without a dedicated fridge (3g cornies)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scone

Reaction score
For the time being, possibly the next few years even, I don't have the space or money for a full kegerator setup, nor a dedicated fermentation fridge. I'm still moving around a lot, and have no desire to schlep a fridge around with me anyway.

I was thinking about outfitting a ghetto inside-the-fridge kegging system based on a 3g corny (like in the many portable kegerator setups e.g. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-new-portable-kegerator-182045/, but inside my fridge).

I would think I can prime with sugar, and serve directly from the inside of my fridge with a small co2 tank, a short beer line and a 'free floating' tap/handle that can be pulled out for convenience, and laid back down inside the fridge when not in use. I might be able to lay the keg on its side and bend the racking arm to be able to serve laying down, thus taking up less precious fridge space (my gf and i both like to cook, our fridge is usually pretty full).

Any reason this wouldn't work? I know fridge temps aren't ideal for serving beer, but that's where all my bottles get chilled anyway, so this wouldn't change the temperature I'm already drinking my beer at. Plus I could bring the 3g to parties if I get a keglove.

I know some of you are already doing this, how do you like it? Is it worth it, or should I just continue bottling and wait 'till I can afford to go the kegerator route?

I'd use a picnic faucet, not a free floating tap handle. Will be much easier to move around. For convenience though, why not move the shelves in the fridge so you can leave them standing up?

But what you're describing sounds like it will work just fine.

3 gallon kegs are pricey! If you intend to prime, it will need a couple weeks minimum to carb. Kegs pour best w/ little to no sediment when they are not disturbed. I f you prime a keg and then move it and lay it on its side, the yeast will be resuspended and need additional time to clear. For the same money, I would think you could get two 5 gallon kegs and a free fridge on C'list.

Perhaps you could look for a "tap a draft" miller lite set up for cheap?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/miller-lite-home-draft-dissected-181602/

3 gallon kegs are pricey! ...... For the same money, I would think you could get two 5 gallon kegs and a free fridge on C'list.

Don't think the issue here is price as much as moving and hauling stuff around. I feel the pain on that. Moving in a few weeks, waiting to build a better ferm chamber until then, but it'll still suck because I'll end up moving again in a year. The fun of renting.

Ah good call on the picnic faucets.

Cost is definitely a major factor, but I *think* I could put together a decent system like this for $200 if I wait for the elusive deal on 3g cornies. However, even if the fridge is free, I've nowhere to put it, and moving with it is out of the question. It sounds too terrible to fathom. :D

As far as priming and sediment, it takes 3 weeks to prime in bottles anyway, and I figure I can prime with the keg on it's side and just move it very gently into the fridge. I've thought about the tap-a-draft and similar systems, but the quality vs. price of what's available in non-keg form just doesn't seem worth it in my opinion.

The bottom shelf of my garage fridge has a 2.5g cornie, a small regulator, a 20oz paintball CO2 bottle, and a picnic tap. I usually force carb but in an odd way, I guess. When I brew, I fill two small kegs and then top off with 20# of CO2, remove the bottle and set aside in my beer closet awaiting their turn in the fridge. ( I have a third keg tapped in the fridge anyway as part of the pipeline. I have three kegs total, so when I tap the last one, it is a good sign to get my brew on.) When I drain the fridge keg, I will take one of the new ones that already has been pressurized, chill it for 24hrs, then sample the carbonation. If it is not quite there, I apply the gas and crank and shake for 10 minutes. Let it settle and drink. Perfect? Probably not, but it works for me.

Fair Warning: 3 x 2.5g kegs, a couple of CO2 bottles, taps, and small regulator will set you back $400-500 though.

Latest posts

Back