Getting Frustrated with Brewing, Need Some Encouragment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wup

Reaction score
Well. this is how the story goes last spring got fed up with paying $40/case for beer, and went to a Brew On Premise which are common up here in Ontario. Gave them $90 and they said come back in 2 weeks. Go back 2 weeks later with six cases of empties and fill them up. Take it home, tastes like sugar water, call them up they say bring it back and they will make a new batch. Another 2 weeks goes by and bottle the next batch and it tastes the same.

I say enough of this, and pick up some ingredients for my first batch(extract). Make my first batch and it tastes pretty bad as well. Second batch is a bit better, but it is nowhere near "good". Third batch I steep some specialty grains and it is a little better. Fourth batch an infection, and fifth batch was the worst batch of them all.

Well, at this point it is clear that I am getting a little depressed.

The winter comes and goes, I say, hey lets give it another try, but this time all grain. So I assemble everthing needed. and this brings me to last tuesday.

First AG, hit 50% efficiency, didn't sparge with enough water, so I ended up with <4 gallons of really LG beer, no big deal, the first attempt, I knew it wasn't going to go perfect.

2'nd AG last Thursday, things went much better hit 72% efficiency proper volume of wort, no problems with the brewing, pitch the yeast and put it in the basement, Saturday comes, I get home from work, and there lies my air lock on the ground and krausen spewing out the airlock. Rig up a blow off tube and put it away, over the next couple days I start smelling a really sour smell, so as it stands I am pretty sure it is infected, but I really hope its not.

3'rd AG This Tuesday, Hefe. Crush the grains. Realized I should have not mixed the wheat and 2-row before crushing as the wheat is slightly smaller. So I dropped in efficiency about 5% no big deal as I am still learning. Make the beer, everything goes allright. Pitch the yeast, WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast, rig a blow off tube from the begging, set it in the laundry room since I don't have room where the other 2 are sitting. I come home today and find out that the freaking room is like 80 degrees because people have been doing laundry all day, and of course 80 degrees + hefe yeast=lots o' bananna. So this is going to be an interesting beer.

So as it sits now, I am here, depressed, upset, ready to call it quits, absolutely nothing has gone right for me. Has anything like this happned to anyone else?

Wup

P.S. Sorry for the long story but I just though I needed to get it off my chest.

How's this for encouragement?

V261362_RC990.jpg

Hold on partner, step back from the ledge, put all sharp utensils down.
Now, you've just gone thru the same learning expierence that we all do
(and still do;) )
You've already realized your mistakes and you'll have that knowledge to take into your next brew session. Now, start planning that next brew.
For what it's worth, I'm drinking one of my first AG brews. It was supposed to
be a Pale Ale, but I had temp issues along with brain farts and added too much
hops, so now I have more of an IPA. Glad I didn't toss it. Even my buddy says
it's not as bad as I explained before he had one. :mug:

As long as you don't repeat those mistakes, just chalk it up to working for your Masters of Home Brewing. Like megavites says, it's an education, learn from the mistakes and your beer will get easier, better, and more fun.

I went through the same thing, almost stopped brewing, but I turned it around, Talking to more experienced brewers, batch sparging, patience, all finally paid off. PBW is your friend, or at least mine, I love the stuff.
Here is what helped me....
1. Ferment my ales at 68F and learning that fermentation generates heat...
2. Clean then sanitize.....I use bleach and powder brew wash to clean and idophor to sanitize, and vodka sometimes on my beer caps. Its handy to keep a spray bottlle of VO around.
3. Good yeast health....I almost always brew a smaller beer and build a yeast cake for my bigger brews. Aeration, Nutrient. I like to use Nutrient thats just me though.
4. good recipes, sometimes the ones at the brew shop, or online is not always best.
5. Use the IBU calculators that are online.

Right now I am working on improving my water profiles for differant brews.
Dont give up....
Good luck

We've all been there to some degree so don't despair! On my first extract batch I sanitized my fermenter with bleach water - only to realize I had forgotten to add the bleach! At the time I thought I had done a great job rinsing to get all the bleach smell out. :mad: That brew had quite a funk to it (taste and smell) - ultimately I had to pour it out. It was really tough given that it was my first batch but I kept at it and my second brew was MUCH better.

My first AG went pretty much like yours, I got 55% efficiency and I think I ended up bottling a whole 14L or something. As for the sour smell on #2 I would wait until you taste it before you write it off. Some yeasts put out odd smells I've noticed.

Above all just don't give up; it sounds like you're hitting your stride with the AG brews!

I'd say you are at an advantage over the rest of us (well...me) who have bad batches, since you can pinpoint exactly what went wrong. Most of the time, that's the hard part. Since you know, you can correct those problems on your future batches. Instead of learning everything the hard way though, why don't you ask a lot of questions here before you begin the brew session? maybe you already are, IDK. :cross: I'm sure that would help you at least anticipate better and maybe avoid some issues. Anyway, you've definitely got what it takes (patience), so keep it up!
:mug:

But more seriously, my next batch will be #40, and I still have something on nearly every batch that makes me feel the way you do, at least momentarily. And I'm learning that beer is resilient...it wants to be good in spite of your inadequacies...and it usually is.
The worst thing I do is overthink and overreact to every little problem. The "RDWHAHB" mantra is a good one (even if you need to sub in a fine commercial brew for the HB on occasion).

If that fails, well, Yuri's post was pretty fine...

Where are you located? Find a brew partner that can help do things in the brewery while your brewing and trying to focus. Remember SANITIZE SANITIZE SANITIZE (be mean keep it clean) kick everyone who isent brewing out of the brewery while your brewing I.E people,dogs, cat, children, focus on the task at hand and thats keeping the bugs out of your brew. Dust, vacuum, blow down, mop, then mop again. get some hand sanitizer and some alcohol and keep them in the brewery and use them often. there is a great thread here for beginers and the problems they have also how to fix them. alot of us here have a passion for brewing and a firm grasp on problems that arise and how to fix them. Dont giive up brother you can do it! you have come to the right place! and if all else fails there is always Yuris post.
JJ

I don't see how that batch could be infected simply form the airlock blowing off, unless you have a dog that licked it. And as far as lactic infections.. I've never smelt a lacto infection, just tasted it.

High banana hefes are enjoyed by many, disliked my others. So... you may like it. If not, leave it in the bottles or keg for a few months. It will mellow.

Do you buy your grain precrushed? That may lead to lower efficiency since they don't always crush the grains enough.

My two preferred methods for cleaning/sanitizing (they work for me) is oxyclean as cleaner and metabisulfite as sanitizer. Other like other things. But if you do find you are getting infection.. revisit your sanitizing technique. Perhaps it needs a change or you need to use more sanitiser.

Don't feel bad at all. Low eff.... Everyone has been there. Keep some DME around for the "oh crap" moments until you get your equipment dialed in. As for Banana beer.. Well, my wife just brewed her 1st hefe about 2 months ago, and let me tell you the Chiquita Lady herself may not have smelled more like banana's!! As said earlier though, some LOVE that banana addition, Personally, made me gag. She had 5 gal of wonderful Hefe all to herself. You might try writing down your brewing process before your session. It might help a bit.

I've been brewing for 5+ years, and recently did a very stupid thing. Just before buying the Beer Gun (great toy), I bottled some beer from a keg for 3 contests.
I didn't clean the filling tube like I ALWAYS do, and I infected all of the beer. *******.
Don't take your eye off of the ball.
We all F/U at some time or another.
Find a homebrew club and go to a meeting.
Once you start making really good beer, you will never want to stop.
Brewing tomorrow: Blonde ale for my kids (they're old enough to drink).

It's been a definite experience learning curve for me. I've done 6-7 batches and probably messed up half for different things.

Didn't pasturize pumpkin, broke diary thermometer in the boil clanging against the wort chiller, didn't pasteurize strawberries enough, didn't use blow off tube on a wit and infected it etc. etc.

All in all though my beer IS getting better so it's painful but just have to go through it. Can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs as they say.

Sounds like you are learning and improving. I'm just sorry it has taken you as much beer as it has to start to get good beer. My first two batches (extract + grains) were pretty good but not great. Since then I have done some PM and AG batches that are better and improving with age. Even my 2.8%ABV Mild is a really good tasting beer. My first AG an IPA is getting to be awesome.
Your blowoff probably isn't a problem and the batch is likely to be excellent.
Your hefe may have some flavors but its not uncommon and sometimes desirable.
If you like strongly flavored beers like stouts, porters and IPAs, these styles seldom seem watery and the strong flavors hide many problems you might have had. I think blondes and similar beers are more difficult to make great.
Craig

Bike N Brew said:
Don't know if it helped the OP, but I'm, um, encouraged...
I thought he was recommending her because she knows how to brew...;)

Sorry to hear about your disappointments. I've never had bad experiences like those.

Seems to me that maybe you are rushing too much and screwing yourself up.:eek:

At least you didn't start with a BrewSa(u)ck. We dumped it & the garbage disposal puked!

I've definitely had some bummer beers. My advice is to write down as much as you can about how you make each beer (from recipe, to brewing, through fermenting, bottling, and tasting), so you can track down persistant problems and recreate great beers.

Keep your chin up and keep brewing!

My advice is to keep at it. Pick a simple recipe for a beer style you like that you can brew now given we are heading into summer. Brew it several times, measuring everything and take lots of notes. Each time you do you will make mistakes (hopefully only once) and learn many new things. After each session figure out what you need to tweak or add for the next time. When brewing take the RDW to heart, save the HAHB for after the yeast is pitched.

Having a problem or need an answer - come here.

C R Y I I I N N G ? ? ? ?

There's no CRYING in homebrewing....!

What's your major malfuntion numbnuts...? Suck it up soldier...

...Just trying to take the tough love approach....

Seriously, don't dispair. Even the worst homebrew tastes pretty damb good.

On the bright side, you've exerienced most of the mishaps that most people take Y E A R S to experience.

Get back on the horse and ride on...

We're cheering for you....

Sorry I wasn't very helpful to start off - but I hoped to cheer you up a bit.

Sounds like you're learning a ton, and that's important. Next, you'll need some patience...which is REALLY tough! Finally, please don't give up!

I think you know how to make good beer...just prove it to yourself!

jaybird said:
SHHHHHHH.... I think he's brewing right now...Quiet he's thinking. WTF did I get myself into. these freeken guys are brew NUTS.

Shhhh!! First rule of being a brew NUT is not letting anyone that is NOT a brew NUT know you are a brew NUT!

(heh heh heh.. he said..NUT)

I prefer the term "MAD" my self... ;)

My advice? Try out the Apfelwein recipe, it's fool-proof, it may not be 'brewing' but you're creating something delicious and alcoholic and isn't that why we're all here really? My first beer tastes like a banana threw up in it, but having this one Apfelwein victory is giving me new hope for my brewing future.

Just a quick update:

AG Batch 1(Low efficiency one):Transferred to keg for a little cold conditioning, tastes a little like generic BMC, but slightly better.
AG Batch 2(Blow off one I thought was infected):Transferred to secondary, no infection (WooHoo!!), and tastes pretty darn good
AG Batch 3(Bananna Wheat as I like to call it): Put it in a cooler place ~67 F, banana smell has virtually dissapeared, and is still fermenting.

Wup

Back