Getting friends interested in brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What seems to be the best way? I've invited friends over for brew days and a few of them have said they wish to start brewing. No one ever follows through though.

One of my buddies is interested in brewing, but he's scared of the investment in case he doesn't like it. Because of this I made a deal with him. In about 3 weeks he's going to buy an extract kit and I'm going to let him use all of my equipment. I'll be there coaching him every step of the way, but he's going to be the brewer. Once the beer is finished I'm going to help him bottle and we're going to split the batch.

I'm excited about this and hope he enjoys it so he gets the urge to buy equipment and start this on his own.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get friends interested in brewing?

Acoma said:
Make a really good beer and let them have a couple.

+1 I just asked my friend if he wanted to try h doesn't lime beer much more of a wine thing. He probably won't do it on his own but I might have a brew partner now.

Just use force - give him a dozen homebrews and when he passes out, take his wallet and head to Northern Brewer...it's for his own good
And get him nice stuff. It makes life easier, and get yourself something while you're at it :)

I think you also need to have a friend that is into full flavor/craft brews. Your typical BMC drinker won't appreciate a good beer.

Just because you're interested doesn't mean that everyone has to be. Not every friend of mine is into brewing. And it's not my job to covert them. Most of my brewing friends I met through here, I started making threads about meeting at certain brewpubs, and that led to group brews and that led to friendships with people who already brew.

I've managed to get 4 people into home brewing. All four happened the same way - they expressed interest, so I invited them over to brew a batch. They liked it, and joined me for a few more brewing sessions. Three were the forced to take on brewing by themselves when I moved to the opposite side of the country (an extreme option for most), although my last convert was not happy with my pace and started brewing his own batches between our brew sessions. For some reason, he was afraid I'd be mad he started doing that...

Bryan

I just got my moosehead drinking buddy into it. he loves to come over and help brew but doesn't like craft brew, at least not the hop bombs I typically make. so this past weekend we made him a moosehead clone and he's pretty stoked

I think them seeing it from start to finish (as long as the finish is good) is the best way. A lot of people (me included) really like the process of brewing almost more than the drinking. I've got a neighbor that likes my beer and we've brewed once together and are trying to schedule another one together. I'm doubtful he will buy his own equipment, but I'm tyring. In the mean time, it's nice to have someone brew with you.

But like Revy said, its not for everyone. Another friend really like our brews and for his b-day SWMBO told him they would go to the LHBS and he could get a kit. He was stoked, but that was like 8 months ago and he hasnt bought anything yet.

Some of my friends (even my son-in-law) acted interested until they were asked to come brew! I think they are interested in a peripheral way- that is, drinking my beer for free while discussing how they'd like to make beer!

The only person I know who actually got interested in brewing actually approached me first, here on HBT. Then we brewed together, and became friends. He's still brewing, probably more than I am! But otherwise, I realize that my friend's interest is more like, "Hey! We should brew sometime! What's on tap?"

A lot of folks things it's cool until they realize that you stand around for 4-7 hours depending on what you are doing, AND THEN you have to clean up after. It's not all about handing out a drinking, and can be rather boring, unless you're us....

Yep, it's hard to get people into brewing because people don't realize how much work it is or how long it takes. Most people think (at least my friends) its awesome until all of the work they see (or waiting or equipment you have to buy). It takes a lot of time and investment. Most people would rather go and just buy beer from the store.

i'd ask them what they want in a beer and then respond "you know you can make that, right?" but it takes a certain OCD personality.

very few of my friends brew, probably about 4 or 5... even they don't brew the kind of beer i make (really, who needs another newcastle clone??)

i view brewing as an experiment with drinkable results.

I keep my interested friends informed on when I'm brewing. So far just 1 bite. A friend hung out all night for a brew night and now he's looking for his first starter kit. I suggested he brew his first extract next time I brew (next planned is a 10G brown/brown sugar batch.. still formulating recipe)

That reminds me.. I need to set my next brew night date... though I'm fermenting my first lager and dammit.. I just don't know for sure when it'll be ready to move out of my fermentation freezer... next batch is not a lager... and only room for 10G in there

When I tell guys that it takes at least 3-4 weeks from grain to glass, it really turns most of them off. They can't understand why it takes so long. I think most folks think making beer is like cooking dinner.

I have gotten 4 friends and family into it... my bro-in-law b/c he drinks gluten free stuff and there is not much of a variety... the others just because they like craft beer and have the time and money to do it. My other bro-in-law keeps asking about it but he probably doesnt have the cash to get started right now, nor the space.

Thing is, I never really pushed it on anyone. I just shared some homebrews and talked about it from time to time and eventually they asked me to help them get started. One of my best friends (who is now a member on here now) brewed about 5 batches in the first month or so... success! We are actually have a brew/drink lots of homebrew day this Saturday... :tank:

you got a start with your one friend, and a good one i might add.

as for the rest, if they say they are interested, but they never come over to drink a few beers and help you brew, they aint interested

When I started brewing, I had a brother in-law and 2 friends that were doing it. After a few years on drinking their beer, and hearing how much they enjoyed it, I thought I'd give it a try.

I borrowed a friends equipment and bought a kit and did my first batch by myself. I like to figure things out for myself, and do things my way, so I didn't want one of them standing over my shoulder telling me that's not the way to do it.

6 years later, and only me and my brother in-law are still brewing, and we both brew with completely different techniques, and both produce great beers. It's been great discussing recipes, techniques, and new equipment along the way, but it's worked best for us to brew alone and drink together:mug:

getting my buddies to "drink" a home brew, much less make thier own homebrew, would be excactly the same as asking them "hey wanna fly to England in this plane I just built?" there is absolutly no desire to try anything else.
There was almost a fist fight one night because someone brought over Bud light not Busch light. They cannot be cured.

I actually don't have any friends who drink beer (real beer) except one, and he is an occasional brewer already. I'd just keep inviting them over. If they like it they will end up helping or buying a kit and trying it out. Let them use your equipment once or twice.

If they like it they will get their own stuff. If not, then they aren't that interested. for many people, the brewing process is WORK, then there is the clean up and the long wait. For others, there is joy in brewing and building brewing stuff and then at the end, really good beer (hopefully).

Just show them what you do, and let them decide.

I say don't bother. Some people are just too busy, too impatient, too ADD, not interested enough, etc.

eelpout said:
getting my buddies to "drink" a home brew, much less make thier own homebrew, would be excactly the same as asking them "hey wanna fly to England in this plane I just built?" there is absolutly no desire to try anything else.
There was almost a fist fight one night because someone brought over Bud light not Busch light. They cannot be cured.

Try brewing them a cream ale.

:D There is no hope for them.

Latest posts

Back