Getting back into kegging.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RealFloopyGuy

Reaction score
I ordered two used Corney kegs today, and 2 gasket sets. I never changed any gaskets on any of the dozen kegs I had before, but I figured for $7 including shipping that I might as well order the o-ring sets.

I wasn't sure what I had kept and what I had sold. So I dug through my totes and I found a couple ball lock connectors and an entire pin lock double regulator with a couple connections, hoses, and steel pinlock connectors. The regulator is cornelius brand pl-160. It seems to be in pretty good condition given how long I must of left it sitting out there, but the gauges are rough. When I blow into the low pressure gauge, it seems to move correctly (how many psi can you put out? lol.). The gauge has rust in the face that could mostly be cleaned up. They aren't bent or dented. I only have the 1 high side gauge and 1 60 psi low side gauge, the other low side might be floating around in one of my totes. I see a lot of them on ebay for around $5-6. I might have a 100 psi one sitting around that I could put in the other low side just so I don't have to take them apart to use them.

There are check valves on the connections.

Is there anything I should do to these gauges before I use them? I don't remember cleaning them but I certainly took the gauges loose previous to putting them in my totes.

What would all of you do if you had gauges that you had sitting around for 5 or 10 years without being used?

I don't plan to build a new kegerator at the moment, I bought the kegs because I wanted to carbonate cider without the hassle and because glass carboys aren't much cheaper to use as secondaries. I plan to use the beer gun they have the plans for here after I bulk age the beers in the kegs.

I arrived home today to see my kegs on the door step. 1 day shipping on Christmas eve. That has to be a record.

Back