Getting back in to brewing - toss old ingredients|

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstought

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm getting back into brewing after a three year hiatus, and I'm going over my old equipment looking for what I want to keep and toss. I have some corn sugar and some adjunct malts (caramel, black patent, wheat, and chocolate) that have been around for a few years. Should I toss them, or could they still be good? Also, I have some hop pellets that have been in a sealed jar in the freezer for the last three years. Would they still be good?

Thanks,
Sean

Start with new gear, get a few good brews done to get the buzzzz going again, then maybe take some risks with the old carp.

welcome back! it really depends on how they were stored if the malts are viable. crunch one and see how it tastes! as far as the hops...prob ok...again, eat it and see. have fun re-kindling this wonderful hobby! :mug!:

If the grain was kept dry, it should be ok.

Some places sell 3 year old hops. I think Nikobrew just cleared out their 2010 hops, and is still selling 2011. If kept sealed in the freezer, they shoul be ok.

Corn sugar is just sugar. If dry will be fine.

Back