Getting an expired CO2 tank refilled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
I've been offered a 20# CO2 tank for $15.

The bad news is that it has been expired since 1996. I've found a company (Praxair) that will refill it for $22, but when I asked about them refilling my expired tank the guy danced around my question and never anwsered it.

He said that they would exchange my tank but there would be a hydrostatic charge fee of $18 for my old tank. Which I'm fine with, but when I asked him what would happen if my old tank failed the hydrostatic charge test he couldn't really anwser my question. (Ie. Would my only option at the point be to buy a new tank?)

So has anyone had any experience with exchanging an expired tank for another tank?

Do they perform the hydrostatic test while I stand there or a week later?

Any info is helpful! And thanks in advance!

No answers for ya but look forward to someone's comment if there is any. I got a 10 and 20# tank that fits this same scenario...

I know the guys who fill my current tank wouldn't even bother looking to see if it's expired. I want them tested for peace of mind of course!

The test is to show that the tank will safely hold pressure. It's a very conservative test, which is why it is good for 5 years. If a tank fails, you can't get a new sticker, which means no one is supposed to refill the tank, i.e. it's scrapped.

I do know that many people ignore the sticker, paint-ball fill places seem never to care. However, I have never gone to get mine retested, I really don't know how long the procedure is. I don't know either how long the expected lifespan of a tank is.

Give it a whirl, worst case scenario is you are out $18 and have to get a new tank. With scrap prices the way they are right now, you will probably be able to get most of that $18 back.

None of the gas suppliers I have ever been to that exchange tanks have ever looked at any tanks that I was swapping out to check the certification. Just go in and play jimmy the dunce and say that some other place gave you the tank and you don't know anything about any certification. They will just give you a fresh tank.

I speak from experience. I have turned in many empty oxygen, acetylene, CO2, argon and nitrogen tanks that were all out of certification without any questions asked. This is only true if you are swapping. If you want yours filled they will check the certification.

Maybe I need to find a swap place like John mentioned in town. The place I go for my other non-expired tank they just fill it up as I wait.

I googled and found a company that certifies tanks locally and just gave them a call. $25 to hydo test a 10# tank and then $1 a lb to refill. Still a good deal since the tank was free for me, unless it doesn't pass then I'd assume I just ate the $35.

http://www.unitedfire.net/UnitedFire/faqs.html

If it fails the test then it's dangerous anyway. Unless it's dented or has been shot with a 22 or the valve looks like it was used as a hammer, then you have a 98% chance it will pass the test.

$15 for tank and $18 for test is still pretty cheap for a 20lb tank.

I just brought three 5 lb tanks in for filling and one was so old but they had no problem exchanging it with no charge. The refils cost $16.50 is that allot and what should my high pressure gauge read my is like 800 psi. I checked all of them and they all read the same

Well it sounds like I should take a chance. I know that $15 for a 20# tank is freakin' steal so I'm going to buy it this weekend and just walk into Praxair and tell them I need an exchange.

Worst case scenario I take it to another place.

Thanks again and everyone drink a homebrew this weekend, cause hopefully next week I'll have a filled 20# tank for less than $40 :ban:

:off:

Damn it this hobby is addicting. I brewed my first two batchs last friday and I already have bought two more 6.5gl carboy's, 2 5gl carboys, to go along with the two ale pails I bought last week.

Not to mention the 4lbs of hops that came today along with a free freezer from the wifes friend.

Now all I need is a cheap thermostat temp controller, some decently cheap cornies, facuets,shanks and a regulator!

And to top it off, I asked her what my brewery name should be and she looked at me with a straight face and said "Well you do like T&A, so how about T&A Brewing?"

Thanks again for the insight guys/gals! :mug:

HarvInSTL said:
And to top it off, I asked her what my brewery name should be and she looked at me with a straight face and said "Well you do like T&A, so how about T&A Brewing?"

Tomatoes and Apples Brewing? Well.. to each their own... ;)

Even if Praxair re-certs your tank, which they probably should, you'll only be out a few more bucks. One thing I like about praxair is you can start an account via credit card, and use it at any praxair in North America.

Any fire extinguisher place can do the hydro too (like $15).
Scuba shops can as well, but they will charge a premium (like $25).

Its good for 5 more years.

P.S. the condition of your valve has no bearing on the hydro test.

the valve can influence the quality of the tank though. with aluminum tanks in particular, they can develop microcracks around the valve area since that is an area of the tank that takes the most stress. i would say that for the welding supply shops, they look at the valve to see how well the tank has been taken care of, and if they are willing to swap with you.

sounds like some of you are really lucky with where you live. in austin, there was only one shop that didn't check certification consistently, and it depended on the person i was talking with. every other place checks the certification. i only swap though.

Harv, my friend had an old 20# steel tank, well out of cert. He took it to CeeKay Supply and traded the old tank in and got a 20# aluminum tank in return. It cost $13.90 for the retest fee and $18.63 for the gas. CeeKay is all over the metro area.

CeeKay Supply

seyahmit said:
Harv, my friend had an old 20# steel tank, well out of cert. He took it to CeeKay Supply and traded the old tank in and got a 20# aluminum tank in return. It cost $13.90 for the retest fee and $18.63 for the gas. CeeKay is all over the metro area.

CeeKay Supply

yeah I meant to check them out, I found them on the BrewGas locator

Thanks for the info, sounds like that is where I'll be taking this tank after I pick it up this weekend.

I recently had my 5 #er in for a refill and I was told it needed to be recertified.
I did know this and was glad someone at the supply place was on the ball enough to check.
I now have a 20#er that I got for $20 and it was 3/4 full and also came with a used regulator. I did have to buy and install a low pressure guage on it but for the price, I couldn't go wrong. I know I'll have to re-certify when it blows but I think that it would be in my best interest to have it done proper anyway.
It takes a while to do the test so if you need it done, chances are you'll have to leave it.

Wow, this thread gives me hope. I've got a 20# tank in my storage shed that probably went out of cert a decade ago. Visibly it is in good shape. I just figured that it would cost an unreasonable amount to get re-certed. I suppose I'll try to trade it in and see what happens.

Yay, I've got my foot in the door for kegging.

My local fire alarm/equipment place hydros any size tank for $12 and it takes two days. No big deal. Ask someone at the closest firehouse where they get their bottles serviced and go there.

<bump>

I have a 10 and 20 lb tank I got from a buddy who moved; both expired. I finally got around to having them hydro tested at a fire supply store. My 20# expired tank failed :(. Good news, no charge and they disposed of it for me :).

10# tank just passed :rockin: . Total charge $40 including the fill. Just bought my additional regulator etc and I can now carb the kegs in queue finally! Tis a good day for this homebrewer.

574-chest-cornies.JPG

Question:

Do any of these old tanks you are all talking about getting rec-ertified belong to a beverage company? I have an older tank that was still certified when my local gas supplier said nope to a refill. Seems that when the owner's name is stamped in the side (Willamette Beverage), it is illegal for anyone else to get it refilled. This tank was given to me about 8 yrs ago by a friend. Thought about grinding and puttying to cover the stamped name but never got around to it and it's expired now.

Has danyone else had this problem and found a way to overcome it?

-Happy to see this thread!

Both the 10 and 20 I think had pepsi or coke etched on them. My cert place didn't seem to care. The 20 expired in 1991 and the 10 1985. Maybe try another place?

My 20# tank hasn't been certified since 1992 according to the stamp and it also has some beverage company that went out of business stamped on the side. It still has CO2 in so I'm going to use it until its gone and hope I can just exchange it somewhere.

If the tank has to be recertified will they just give you another tank and charge you for the gas and the recert fee? What happens if it fails and you have the new tank? What's to keep you from exchanging that one somewhere else or just keeping it and refilling it?

In Canada, recertification not only involves a hydro test. It must pass a visual test as well. I brought in and old steel tank that had too much rust and pitting at the bottom and it failed on that. Did not even bother with the hydro.

The tank I have is in really good shape aside from the red paint being chipped off of it everywhere. I'm pretty sure it has a good amount of gas left in it. I just hope that I can either exchange or it or have it filled when the time comes. I bought the 20# tank with three ball-lock cornies for $75 so I got a pretty good deal.

Tomatoes and Apples Brewing? Well.. to each their own... ;)

Even if Praxair re-certs your tank, which they probably should, you'll only be out a few more bucks. One thing I like about praxair is you can start an account via credit card, and use it at any praxair in North America.

There is a company down south with beverage grade co2, excellent prices and they fill it on the spot.

Verified Services
14252 sw 140st suite 112
Miami
305-903-6501

Wow. Yeah, that's about as bad as it gets. Rather insulting to think we're as stupid as that.

And "Verified"? By whom? And do I care? :confused:

Cheers!

My old boss gave me my 20 pound CO2 tank from work, but how do I tell if it's expired? I've been using it for over a year now.

^ The last hydro test date will be stamped into the tank, usually somewhere up near the valve. That area of the tank can look like it's riddled with hieroglyphics but with good light you can usually figure it out...

Cheers!

Is it bad to use expired CO2 gas? Is there a certain "food grade" CO2 I'm supposed to be using?

If you need my help just let me know.

I don't want to violate any forum rules, I'm set up down south and specialize in beverage Carbonics.

Have a good day

Back