Getting ABV question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kulprit

Reaction score
I was wondering if you can take this measurement after bottling the beer?

We forgot to take this measurement with our last batch and were wondering if we can do this once it's done it's 3 weeks in the bottles to carb or will this mess up the readings?

You could, but with carbonated beer you are going to get an innaccurate reading due to CO2 pushing the hydrometer up out of the sampling container. If you let it sit until the beer is flat, the reading will be more accurate.

I really wouldn't worry about it, as long as the beer tastes good, does it really matter exactly how much alcohol is in it?

Nope not at all - and that's exactly what we said.

But we are learning so I figure the more measurements etc we can do then eventually the better understanding we will have of the elements and process.

Although we are bottling our first batch of Apfelwein today - so that actually might be important to know the ABV in order to warn people - haha

What does it mean when I put the hydrometer into the Apfelwein sample and it just sinks to the bottom showing like 0% alcohol?

It's been fermenting for about 5 weeks and been active so I know it's gotta have alcohol in it.

Apfelwein, and other wines/ciders, will ferment out very low at around 0.999. The reading you get after fermentation is a Final Gravity reading. You need an Original Gravity (taken before fermentation) in order to determine ABV.

Here's the formula: (OG - FG)*131 = ABV

Ok that makes sense

So is the reading on my hydrometer for %Alcohol totally useless?

Should I just pay attention to SG readings in the future? (we didn't take on intially so I have no idea what it woulda been)

Kulprit said:
Ok that makes sense

So is the reading on my hydrometer for %Alcohol totally useless?

Should I just pay attention to SG readings in the future? (we didn't take on intially so I have no idea what it woulda been)

Yup, the reading on your hydrometer is pretty much useless. Pay attention to your OG and your FG and use the formula listed above.

Back