Getting 220V to Anvil Foundry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lupulin Mania

Reaction score
Question on the Foundary and 220V.

I just ordered the Foundry 10.5 system with pump kit. According to my HBS it is on backorder unitl mid-July pending pump availability. Whilst I wait for my system, I'm ponding getting 220V to it.

I've read a number of posts on 220V and GFCI which leads me to some options described below.

I don't have a 220V outlet but I do have a 220V non-GFCI circuit leading to my laundry area. I have a gas dryer and apparently the electrician took a short-cut and didn't install a 220V outlet.

Use a 220V extension cord to brew outside. Plus I need GFCI. Plus I need to connect to the Foundry.

I'm comfortable with wiring all of this (for other projects I've read multiple home wiring books, NEC, etc.) but also have a healthy fear of electricity.

So I have the option of:
- Installing a 220V outlet in my laundry area using the existing wiring
- Installing a 220V outlet in my basement (easier access to wiring and could use non dryer size outlet)
- GFCI breaker or GFCI in cord
- 220V plugs sizes
- 220V wiring to the Foundary: use the existing three wire or go into the brewery and make a four wire connection.

There are a variety of 220V plug sizes but I probably want to use "standard" sizes. It appears the standard sizes are:
- 4 wire dryer NEMA 14-30
- 3 wire dryer NEMA 6-15
- 3 wire locking used in construction. NEMA L6-15. I've never needed this before but who knows.

So there are a number of options.

In leaning towards:
- Switch the dryer 220V breaker with GFCI
- Adding a 4 wire dryer outlet in my laundry room NEMA 14-30
- Buying or wiring a small extension cord 4 to 3 wire to reach from behind my difficult to access dryer plug. NEMA 14-30 to NEMA 6-15. 12-gauge stranded wire
- Wiring a 15 foot temporally used extension cord to the Foundary. NEMA 6-15 12-gauge stranded wire
- Rewiring the Foundary with a 3 wire connection. NEMA 6-15

GFCI options. Spa panel is about $90. GFCI breaker $110. In-line $140. It appears most 220V GFCI inline is NEMA L6.

I'm looking for feedback on the different possible configurations for:
- Price
- Future flexibility
- Ease of installation

TIA

-LM

A 2 pole 30A GFCI breaker in your breaker panel opens you up to a lot of flexibility and removes much of the complexity of external mounted devices. Possibly not the cheapest option but it does simplify things a lot.

A NEMA 14-30 receptacle will give you a standard installation that is correctly sized to your existing wire and allow you to run power to anything up to the capacity of the circuit.
Another advantage is the receptacles are readily available at reasonable cost.

Last edited:
Frankly with a 30a available, the foundry wasnt the best choice. I would rather have a 5500w BIAB rig with no recirc than a foundry at 2800w.
Would that be a DIY 5500w BIAB rig? Why no recirc?

I was thinking with the Foundry I would be able to control my process better. Also cooling with a pump would allow me to leave and clean-up without having to stir.

Question about 220v to 110v adapter. I'm trying to decide whether to get the Robobrew 3.1 or the Anvil Foundry. I like the ability to run 220v at home, or take my setup for a group brew day and use 110v. I plan on brewing on a covered back porch where my washer and dryer are located. The dryer is gas, but there is a 3-prong (old style) 220v, wired up to a 30A circuit. From what I understand, these are not grounded, thus the new standard 4-prong 220v with a dedicated ground.

So I'm wondering about how to wire up a 220v to 110v adapter. On the 110v side, where would the ground get wired up to? Does it matter? Is this do-able with this type of outlet? Cheers, and thanks!

Here's the type of plug that would fit the outlet I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=C2GBRNC62P1NY16D30KA

Back