German (style) Lager Bittering Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sopor42

Reaction score
Today I am brewing a Vienna style lager. Here's my grain bill for the curious:

5# Vienna Malt
4# Munich 9L
1.5# Caravienne
.5# Carapils

I've got plenty of Hallertau available for aroma, so that ones easy. However, I don't have anything in the way of German or Continental Bittering Hops. I'm curious what you all have used in Vienna, Munich, even Helles or Pils styles lagers for bittering in the past with great results.

My only good option at the moment is Northern Brewer... while not traditional for the style it's German, and it's better than using Columbus :cross:

Today I am brewing a Vienna style lager. Here's my grain bill for the curious:

5# Vienna Malt
4# Munich 9L
1.5# Caravienne
.5# Carapils

I've got plenty of Hallertau available for aroma, so that ones easy. However, I don't have anything in the way of German or Continental Bittering Hops. I'm curious what you all have used in Vienna, Munich, even Helles or Pils styles lagers for bittering in the past with great results.

My only good option at the moment is Northern Brewer... while not traditional for the style it's German, and it's better than using Columbus :cross:

That's a lot of crystal for any beer, but especially for a Vienna lager. My recipe doesn't have any crystal in it. 20% crystal is a ton, in my opinion. I'd double check the recipe, because it definitely doesn't sound right.

For bittering, the northern brewer will be ok. I'd bittter to about 22-25 IBUs, and use 1/2 ounce of hallertauer at 10 minutes for flavor/aroma.

If you have "plenty" of hallertauer, though, why not use it for bittering also? 1 1/2 ounces for bittering, and 1/2 ounce for flavor would do it.

Yes it is a lot of Cara malt =) This is definitely not the traditional Vienna recipe... I guess what I'm going for here is Vienna color (this is only estimated at 10L) and more sweetness than traditional. I've brewed this grain bill before. With a nice fermentable mash (148-150 or so) this comes out dry, nutty and toffee like fermented as a Cali Common. Really tasty.

And the reason I haven't used any of the hops you two have recommended is b/c they're low alpha and generally accepted as aroma varieties. Now there's nothing "wrong" with bittering with them... but I wanted to use a higher-alpha bittering hop so that I don't have to use more than 3/4 to an Ounce to bitter.

But, maybe next time it'll be all Hallertau!

Oh, btw Yooper... I'm in Mount Pleasant. Beautiful day down here today!

Latest posts

Back