German lager 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleroots

Reaction score
This is a first time recipe that I came up with, thought I would run it by u guys before I brew; let me Know what you think.

5 Gal. Batch
Grain bill

4 lb. Vienna (German)
4 lb. best light Munich
3 lb second row
1 lb crystal malt-45L

Hops-
1 oz. Citra at 60 min>
1 oz. Willamette at 30 Min.
1 oz Citra at 15 min
1 oz. Willamette at 10 min

Any Ideas on a yeast, I prefer white labs pitchable's, but any Ideas will work.

I guess you meant 2-row? Looks alright but I don't know about the hops. I suppose they may be good Hallertau and Tettnanger subs. I'd go with WLP830, or Saflager 34/70. Some have said they are the same. Two pack of Saflager is pitchable, with a liquid you will need a large starter.

From what I've seen on the Citra hops I'm assuming you will hit a really high IBU level. What is the alpha acid % on the ones you have? I might suggest scaling back a bit if you are going to be much over 40 IBU. That is just my preference but I think in any sort of German lager you are going to want a somewhat restrained bitterness.

Malt: way too much crystal malt unless you have it there for a particular reason. Personally I would lose it all and just replace it with more base malt. IMO all that crystal will make a lager that is too sweet and flabby in texture. However, if you want some crystal malt aspect to the beer about a half pound of a CaraHells could work.

Hops: If you want a German beer those aren't the hops to use. Hallertau and their American derivatives (Mt. Hood, Crystal, Liberty), Spalter or Tettnanger would all be good alternatives.

Yeast: Take the "pitchable" description with a large grain of salt, certainly in the case of a lager. I would not do a lager without first preparing a large starter. :mug:

I'm now looking to turn this into a Trappist ale, just bought a vial of whit labs wlp500. What do you think, should I still cut back on the crystal 45L, and what are my hops looking like? should my boil times be cut back?

25% crystal is too much. i've never brewed a trappist, but i dont think that much munich is appropriate, same with the hops. all trappist means is that it was brewed under supervision of monks...what type of belgian ale are you going for? do you have these grains and hops already or are you trying to put something together?

I have everything. Do you think 1lb of the crystal?
I was just thinking about the citra @ 30 min. per oz. and my willamette at maybe 15 min a piece. do you still think this is to much?

I'm getting them from fresh hops and they are listed 10-11%. I ended cutting the crystal to 1 lb. As for the hops I'm going with 1 oz citra at 60 min, 1 oz Willamette at 30 min, 1 oz citra at 15 min, and 1 oz Willamette at 10 min for the final recipe.

I just brewed this for the 4th time:

4 lbs 2 row
1 lb crystal 40
.5 lbs carapils
3 lbs DME

1 ounce Tettnang (60 mins)
1 ounce Hallertau (15 mins)
1 ounce Saaz (2 mins)
1 ounce Saaz (dry hop in secondary)

WL830
3-4 weeks @ 48*
4 weeks @ 35* (last 10-14 days with Saaz)

OG ~1.052
35 IBU

The hops change on occasion due to what is available, but they all stay in that general family. This was originally a Sam Adams Boston Lager knock-off.

Back