German Hallertau dry hop - Apple scent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aomagman78

Reaction score
So I dry hopped 3 days ago into a "pilsner" made with ale yeast with 1oz pellets of German Hallertau. I really liked where the beer was going before the dry hops, but a sample today had a distinct "apple" scent and even an impact on flavor. This is my first time dry hopping, so I was surprised to see such a change in such a short time. Has anyone else experienced an "apple" scent from Hallertau? Not at all what I was expecting.

I didnt care for the 1 hoppy German beer I did (Hallertau dry, Saaz & Spalt hop tea). I guess there's a reason that those hops are primarily used to in small amounts to flavor beers.

I have never had the green apple nose from Hallertau, but then again I have never considered dry hopping a Pilsner. If you end up with the continued smell/flavor let it age longer. The apple like smell flavor will all but disapear over time.

Back