german dark munich substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinworswick

Reaction score
i'm looking for a substitute for german dark munich malt, here is what my lhbs has available

MALT (prices per kg)
Cat.
No. Description (1)
M001 Australian Pale Malt
M002 Weyermann Pilsner
M003 UK Pale Ale Malt
M004 UK Marris Otter Pale Ale
M005 GER. Vienna Malt
M006 GER Munich Malt
M007 Caraaroma
M008 UK Cara Malt
M009 UK Crystal Malt
M010 UK Chocolate Malt
M011 UK Roast Barley
M012 Carared
M013 UK Dark Crystal
M014 UK Amber
M015 UK Black
M016 Smoked Malt
M017 Brown Malt (new item)
M019 GER Wheat
M020 Ger. Dark Wheat
M021 NZ Pilsener (Pale)
M022 UK Pale Chocolate Malt
M023 Uk Golden Promise
M024 Carapils
M025 Bohemian Pilsner
M026 Australian Wheat

and here is my recipe list for bohemian pilsner

1.52 kg. German 2-row Pils
0.14 kg. German Light Crystal
0.14 kg. German Dark Munich
2.34 kg. Dry Light Extract info
150 g. Saaz (Pellets, 3.5 %AA) boiled 60 min.
Yeast : bohemian lager

any suggestions appreciated,

also,are they any websites or software with substitution tables or similar, i had a quick look but didn't find anything

cheers
martin:mug:

thanks for that, that was the one i was guessing, but i wanted to make sure.

there arn't too many options down here in n.z for h.b.s, even online, there isn't the demand i guess:tank:

Yes, just go ahead and use the regular German Munich malt. For the relatively small amount in the recipe the difference in color and flavor will be negligible. :mug:

Yup, I'd definitely go with the ordinary Munich.

That said, Stu at Liberty Brewing has Weyermann Dark Munich for sale. I buy all my grains from them, and they're really friendly and helpful. Though it is a fair ways for shipping down to Arrowtown from Welly.

Either way, enjoy your brew. I just did a Bohemian Pilsner yesterday and am excited about trying it out in 8-10 weeks :)

There really is no substitute for dark Munich, but I also don't know that I would put that malt in a Bo Pils. Vienna or light Munich work fine, and you can use more to get the complexity you are looking for, while not getting the beer too dark.

I also recommend some late addition Saaz. Any Pilsner should have a more complex and assertive hop character, especially a Bo Pils. You don't want hop flavor and aroma like an American IPA, no doubt, but you want some of each.

TL

P.S. If you ever get a chance to add some dark Munich, let us know how that goes. It sounds like a fun beer.

Yup, I'd definitely go with the ordinary Munich.

That said, Stu at Liberty Brewing has Weyermann Dark Munich for sale. I buy all my grains from them, and they're really friendly and helpful. Though it is a fair ways for shipping down to Arrowtown from Welly.

Either way, enjoy your brew. I just did a Bohemian Pilsner yesterday and am excited about trying it out in 8-10 weeks :)

thanks for the link, i hadn't come across them, i've been using dunedin malt house, brewers coop or brewcraft but once i'm organised i'm going to start buying in bulk to keep the costs down

thanks for the link, i hadn't come across them, i've been using dunedin malt house, brewers coop or brewcraft but once i'm organised i'm going to start buying in bulk to keep the costs down

I doubt you get their brews down there, but Stu is one of the guys who runs Yeastie Boys brewery, and he does the brewing supplies as a sideline. Yeastie Boys Pot-Kettle-Black is currently the #1 Australia-NZ beer on ratebeer.com, so he clearly knows his stuff :)

Back