generations of washed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
I recently washed a batch of wyeast 1056 and got 5 pint jars from it. So far ive used two for a pale ale and a blonde ale. My question is can I get a second generation of washed yeast from EACH batch?

Yes, yes you can. However, there is a law of diminishing returns when it comes to how many generations out from the F1 generation you go with your yeast. Yeast loses it's vigor and starts to show signs of problems around the F5-F7 generation when, through natural reproduction, differences in the yeast DNA begin to appear to such an extent that they exhibit different characteristics than the F1 generation (petite mutants, etc.).

In brewer's english, that means you can re-wash the yeast about 5-7 times before you start to notice differences in taste or have problems with things like stuck fermentations due to a loss in vigor.

so by washing it, it continues to multiply with each batch which will ultimately save $100's right?

How do you aerate your wort when pitching yeast? If you shake the carboy I wouldn't go even over 3 gen.

I want to ask a question? I just made a yeast starter yesterday. Today 12 hours later I have still not noticed any movement. Do you think it would be ok. The washed yeast is only less then a month old. I plan to use it this weekend I just want to make sure it is working.

so by washing it, it continues to multiply with each batch which will ultimately save $100's right?
Yes assuming you mean you get multiple jars of yeast that you can then use to save money.

How do you aerate your wort when pitching yeast? If you shake the carboy I wouldn't go even over 3 gen.
Say what? Can you explain more.

I want to ask a question? I just made a yeast starter yesterday. Today 12 hours later I have still not noticed any movement. Do you think it would be ok. The washed yeast is only less then a month old. I plan to use it this weekend I just want to make sure it is working.
You may have missed it. Check the gravity to see if it's fermented. Also, are you getting a layer of yeast on the bottom that is more than you pitched?

mtnagel said:
Yes assuming you mean you get multiple jars of yeast that you can then use to save money.

Say what? Can you explain more.

You may have missed it. Check the gravity to see if it's fermented. Also, are you getting a layer of yeast on the bottom that is more than you pitched?

What kind of gravity number am I looking for? It as a washed yeast so I don't even know how much I pitched.

when people say only use washed yeast X generations, it is mostly conjecture. many breweries successfully reuse the same yeast for hundreds of generation.

What kind of gravity number am I looking for? It as a washed yeast so I don't even know how much I pitched.
Something less than you started with :)

I can't give you exact numbers, but if you started with a starter wort of 1.040 and you yeast will give you 75% attenuation, then you will get down to 1.010. I think that's right, but I've never measured because I've always seen signs of activity.

yes I meant saving money by using the jars of yeast. I wanted to make sure I understood the whole generation thing properly. I knew I could wash yeast from the original packet but I wasnt positive if I could wash yeast again from each jar I harvested. At $6 a packet that'll end up saving me a few hundred! The husband will be happy

just to add- reusing yeast for many generations requires a higher standard of cleanliness (or 'cleanth' as i like to call it), as any contamination early on will be propagated down batch to batch, so just be as clean as you can! if you think something isn't right like even minor attenuation problems or off flavors then best not to harvest that batch.

Yes, a little extra effort can save you tons of money. The problem is that if you like to brew a variety of beers, then you're into multiple yeasts, the don't stay at optimal health forever, etc. etc.

One other way is to take your washed yeast, do a starter, set aside 1/2 the starter for your next batch, and use the other 1/2 for the current batch. This way, you aren't really "washing" yeast for each beer, but rather "propagating" yeast and reducing the chance of contaminations, the effects of a high gravity beer etc.

Or, you can freeze yeast in glycol in pitching quantities, then you can save multiple strains. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/freezing-yeast.html

With a minimal equipment and time investment, you can save lots of money. Not to mention trading yeasts in a brewclub, etc.

I highly recommend the book Yeast, a great read.

Some yeast give much better flavor after a few generations. Keep washing and maintain good sanitation techniques and youll be fine.

As mentioned earlier, commercial brewers reuse over and over.

Back