General

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archer11carne

Reaction score
Merry christmas, I am new to this forum and had a great time reading some of your conversations, I am wondering what is your "secret" tips that make a huge difference with home brewing?

Follow tried and true recipes. Google clone recipes; don't try to make your own. Use proper sanitation and be aware of oxygenation, but don't sweat it big like some people do. Main tip I have is "Relax and have fun. Beer tastes better when you're relaxed and not stressed out!"

As above - well put by lumpher: sanitation (cleaner, rinse if needed per cleaner specs, and starsan)!, start with documented easy recipes, and write down step by step what you did. It helps to be able to refer to what went well and in case there are future revisions needed in process. The thing to remember is if what was brewed isn't what was planned (either a dumper or "interesting"), it's a learning thing. The next brew will be better.

• choose beer styles you like, but at first also try to pick ones that are easier to brew: low-medium gravity, darker, not super-hopped.
  • don't be afraid to experiment with recipes. The "recipes" forum here is great; if you come up with something that isn't going to work, folks'll tell you.
  • pick yeast that's going to work well in the temperature range you're going to ferment at.
  • put the beer in the fermenter and leave it alone and unopened for two weeks.

"secret" tips that make a huge difference with home brewing
Get the "top priorities" right. How to Brew, 4e lists five (others have slightly longer lists)
  1. Sanitation
  2. Fermentation temperature control
  3. Proper yeast management
  4. Proper boil
  5. Solid recipe
FWIW, these are in order of importance (others may have a different order)

Water adjustments: take the time to learn the mineral content, quality, and consistency of the water you are brewing with. RO/distilled/low-mineral water is a known starting point. Tap water requires some additional work. Adjustments do not require a deep understanding of water chemistry, but knowing water chemistry can be helpful.

Last edited:
Read as much as you have time for. Palmer's How to Brew, 4th Edition is considered one of the best. Looking through "New Posts" on HBT will get you started in directions you hadn't even considered. Google searches.

Skip trying to make IPAs for a while until you have the process down. These seem to be the easiest to mess up because of oxidation.

I believe palmers earlier addition is free online on his site.
It is free.

It was published in 1999.

If it were human, it would be old enough to drink.

If it were a dog or a cat, (statistically) it would be dead.

"Buy once, cry once", (more importantly) read once: just purchase the 4th edition.

This is perfect for a start as the latest edition has more complex topics and is perfect as a follow up once you master the basics.
For extract brewing, chapter 1 of 4e includes 15+ years of experience (for the low price of $25-ish USD).

For BIAB, the web site silent.

There's a lot of great reference information at the howtobrew web site. I have (and will) link to it for those things that have not (and will not) change over time.

But, in 2022, and IMO, there are better starting points.

Last edited:
Back