General Rule of Thumb - Oak chips per ABV/IBU

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scruff311

Reaction score
So I've got a ~5% Pumpkin Porter in the secondary right now that came out with a weird spice profile. I think the problem is too much hops and too much clove. Anyway I figured if I age it with some rum soaked oak chips, that strange spice flavor will move to the background a bit and mellow out.

So I've got about 5.5 gallons at 5% and ~30 IBU (I know I screwed up, too high for a pumpkin brew). I have 8 oz of chips soaking in rum. I've read that most have used 2 oz to 4 oz. So what I am asking in general, is there a correlation between ABV or IBU and how much oak chips should be used? I should add that I will only be able to age it with the chips for about 7-10 days.

Thanks!

I'll take a specific suggestion on this pumpkin porter too if there is no real general rule. Again, the details:

5%
30 IBU
Overpowering spice finish
7-10 days oak chip exposure

Would 4 oz be too much for a 'session' beer like this?

You have overpowering hops, overpowering spice, may as well add overpowering oak.

Just kidding. Apparently 2oz of oak per 5 gal is recommended often.

Last week I racked my pumpkin ale onto 2oz of oak that had been soaking in ~16oz of rum for about a month. Added the rum too. Will be tasting it next week.

Back