Gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcbobs

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm just about to prime and bottle my cream ale, but I'd like to make double sure that it clears up. I used whirlfloc in the boil, but I'm considering using gelatin as well.

Here's my quick question: Will the yeast still carbonate with gelatin in solution?

Gelatin is used to help yeast drop to the bottom, but does it affect carbonation? If the yeast is going to go inactive because of the gelatin and is not going to carb my bottles, I dont want to use it.

Thanks guys!

If you use gelatin in the secondary, then you'll probably have troubles with carbonation. I'm sure it will eventually carbonate, but it may take awhile. A week in the refrigerator before opening a bottle should be plenty of time for everything to settle out and give you a clear beer.

I've never understood how people have such cloudy beer, and why they avoid fixing it. It's a flaw, and personally, I want my beer to be at it's best. I don't use any finings, and I get perfectly clear beer. A good hot/cold break, straining before it hits my fermentor, and a nice long primary followed by a few days of cold crashing ALWAYS leaves my beer extremely clear.

I used gelatin in my Strawberry blonde to help clear it and after 2 weeks bottle conditioning, it carbonated very well, no complaints. (I just cracked open the first on on Sunday) Gelatin will not pull all of the yeast out.:mug:

Back