gelatin to clear beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheChamber2113

Reaction score
I've heard it mentioned on a couple threads now that adding gelatin to your beer will clear it up and was looking to see if anyone could explain that. Also, are there other ways to clear it up?

Here's what I do. Add 1 packet gelatin to 1 cup cold water and let it bloom. Once it is all dissolved, heat it to 160F. I do this in the microwave 10 seconds at a time and stir with a thermometer. You don't want to go much above 165F or the gelatin will lose its effectiveness.

As it warms up it will turn clear. Now you can add this to a secondary or what I do is add it to a chilled keg. You'll be amazed at how clear your beer will be. The first pint may be funky and if you move the keg you'll stir up some stuff but you could always move it to a new keg first.

I think the best part of this is it vegan proofs my beers.

OK excellent. Will a brew store carry that or do you get it at a grocery store? Also, what is Irish Moss? I've heard that mentioned a few times but the guy at my local brew store never mentioned it.

You can get unflavored gelatin in the grocery store cheap, no problem. Knox is a common brand. As long as it is unflavored it is fine.

Irish moss is essentially dried seaweed with a high level of carageenan. You add a teaspoon or so of this in the last 10-15 minutes of the boil and it helps precipitate break proteins. Very cheap and works nicely. Your LHBS should have it if they are any sort of LHBS worth visiting.

Even more simply and cheaply: more time = clear beer.

Back