Gelatin in IPA - will it compromise my hop flavor/aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have not used Gelatin before but aftet two weeks in primary on an IPA my yeast (pacman) just won't drop. I have reached terminal gravity over a week ago and was expecting the usually reliable pacman to drop, but it isn't.

I am considering adding gelatin to the primary, which also has my pellet dry hops in it, in order to help aid the tiny hop particles and yeast in setting for a week before kegging.

I am just wondering if the gelatin may also reduce my hop flavor and aroma by removing from of the essential oils from suspension?

Does anybody have any experience regarding this?

I have never noticed a difference in aroma or hop flavor after the gelatin treatment. I've tried both ways, gelatin to drop the hop debris and yeast from primary before kegging and also gelatin in the keg prior to dry hop. Seems to turn out the same either way. Remember you need to have the beer cold for the gelatin to really work well.

I have never noticed a difference in aroma or hop flavor after the gelatin treatment. I've tried both ways, gelatin to drop the hop debris and yeast from primary before kegging and also gelatin in the keg prior to dry hop. Seems to turn out the same either way. Remember you need to have the beer cold for the gelatin to really work well.

I have the beer in primary at about 65 degrees and I plan on keeping it there for at least another week. DO you think a week at 65 with gelatin will help it clear?

I have the beer in primary at about 65 degrees and I plan on keeping it there for at least another week. DO you think a week at 65 with gelatin will help it clear?

Not too well. It really needs to be colder to work properly.

Back