Gelatin for Slants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khugs21

Reaction score
Hey all, I am about to begin slanting yeast and have a question on the amount of gelatin to use instead of agar. Do you use the same amount of gelatin as agar? Thanks

thanks guys. opted to just buy agar from whole foods, $10 for an ounce so not to bad. my slants are cooling off in the pressure cooker as I'm typing :D

That's actually really expensive for agar. Is there an Asian grocery store where you live? They usually have it for a couple bucks an ounce when you run out.

damn. should have looked around. I was over-zelous to try slanting and didn't want to shop around or wait for shipping. well at least I'll know for next time.

thanks guys. opted to just buy agar from whole foods, $10 for an ounce so not to bad. my slants are cooling off in the pressure cooker as I'm typing :D

One can purchase 100gms of quick-dissolve lab-grade powdered agar for $12.95 + 2.50 shipping on eBay. Unlike food-grade agar, lab-grade agar sets up firm every time when using standard laboratory proportions. Lab-grade agar also does not break down in storage like food-grade agar. One hundred grams of lab-grade powered agar will make between 5 and 10 liters of solid media, depending on how solid one likes one's media (250mls of solid wort will make twenty 20mmx125mm slants and six 100mm plates). Solid wort made with 2% lab-grade agar is almost too firm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Pure-Q...855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20dd9410df

Back