Gelatin Finings Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redweasel

Reaction score
I know this has been covered about a thousand times (I did a search and can't seem to find what I'm after) and it seems that most people use knox gelatin. I bought mine at mt LHBS and it came in a little vial. The instructions say to use only 1/2 tsp per five gallons of wort. Everything I have read here indicates using an entire packet of knox. Are these just different products?

The instructions say to disolve 1/2 tsp in 1 cup of water for 60 min then boil to disolve. I've read not to boil! Per instructions I am supposed to place in secondary hot(?) and stir.

Does this sound right to anyone?

All I am trying to do is reduce chill haze. I love the taste of the beer I am brewing but asthetics count to me also.

I bought a bulk pack from ebrew. It didn't come with instructions, so I just measured the same amount that is in a knox pack. I don't boil it either, I get it up to around 170 and mix it on my stirplate.

Ok, searched some more found what I was after.

Gelatin Finings (dried form)
100% animal-derived gelatin

Positively charged fining agent for wine and beer. The most powerful of the organic finings, gelatin will also remove excess tannins (polyphenolics) and colouring particles (melanoidins) from wine. Use 1.5 g per 23 litres of beer, 3 g per 23 litres of wine. Pour 125 ml of boiling water over gelatin powder, stirring to dissolve. Stir thoroughly into wine. 5 ml (one teaspoon) = approximately 3 g.

Using more than the recommended amount will remove too much of the colour and flavour compounds from wine and some of the body from beer.

Store cool and dry

Now, I do bottle condition and there seems to be a debate on how much yeast this will take out of suspention. Anyone here have a problem with carbonation using gelatin?

I use gelatin finings for my lagers. No problems carbonating them but I'm patient and leave them at least 4 weeks before even thinking about drinking them.

GT

Back