Gelatin fining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmeb22

Reaction score
Hey all, recently I brewed my first recipe. An ipa. It has a great golden color and tastes great. Hit my targets perfectly. But when I took a hydrometer reading to get my fg, it was a little cloudy. And looked like yeast was still in suspension. Even if they weren't I think it might still be cloudy though. I came across gelatin.

Question.

I want to dry hop this in my secondary. While I'm racking do I add the gelatin at the same time as my dry hops?

I've read to cold crash the beer, but won't that affect the yeast for carbonation? Do you have to cold crash or will the gelatin do it's thing without cold crashing?

Thanks guys.

Oh and does it actually work?

Hey all, recently I brewed my first recipe. An ipa. It has a great golden color and tastes great. Hit my targets perfectly. But when I took a hydrometer reading to get my fg, it was a little cloudy. And looked like yeast was still in suspension. Even if they weren't I think it might still be cloudy though. I came across gelatin.

Question.

I want to dry hop this in my secondary. While I'm racking do I add the gelatin at the same time as my dry hops?

I've read to cold crash the beer, but won't that affect the yeast for carbonation? Do you have to cold crash or will the gelatin do it's thing without cold crashing?

Thanks guys.

Oh and does it actually work?

Do the dry hop, and then cold crash. If you want to use gelatin, then do it after you take the hop bag out. Most gelatin users say it works better on cold beer. Some folks think that gelatin can reduce the hop flavors somewhat, but I don't have any experience with that. I you do both cold crash and gelatin, your carbonation may take longer than usual due to reduced yeast left in suspension. You can dry hop right in the primary, no need for a secondary. Yes, gelatin works, but then so does time.

Question for others: Anyone have any experience putting gelatin in the bottling bucket?

Brew on :mug:

How long did you primary?
If you can cold crash for get the gelatin.
Cold crashing will NOT affect carbonation.
Dry hop in the primary unless you need the fermenter to start another brew. Shoots buy another fermenter and save the secondary for adding stuff like fruit.

How long did you primary?
If you can cold crash for get the gelatin.
Cold crashing will NOT affect carbonation.
Dry hop in the primary unless you need the fermenter to start another brew. Shoots buy another fermenter and save the secondary for adding stuff like fruit.

^^^ this. It's nearly impossible to get a dry-hopped beer gin-clear. You're going to have some haze from the hop oils, which, because they're oil, will remain in suspension instead of falling out.

Back