Gelatin Fining No Gelatin in first pour??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokinBrews

Reaction score
so I fined with gelatin 3 days ago in my keg. Heated 3/4 cup of water to 155 degrees and added one TSP of gelatin and stirred until dissolved.

The night before I racked my beer from bucket to keg and put on the gas at 30 psi so that the next night when I added said above gelatin solution the beer would be cold. I purged the gas, opened the lid, added gelatin solution to cold beer, regasses and purged oxygen from headspace and wait another 2 days.

Today when I got home purged the gas, set it to serving temp, hooked up my liquid line and pulled a pint expecting to see a glass of half gelatin and half settlement. Instead I didn’t see much gelatin. Saw some hop particles floating around. It’s a black lager so I can’t really tell exactly how clear it is, but the lack of gelatin makes me think it didn’t work?? I poured the first two pints into a pitcher waiting to see if I can see the gelatin there but nada.

Help?

I always bloom my gelatin in room temp water for ten minutes before heating to 150, but not sure that’s what went wrong here. I also add the gelatin solution to the carboy after cold crashing, wait 48h, then rack to keg so I don’t have to worry about pouring out a glass of goo. However, sometimes I feel like the gelatin didn’t even work. I do use less than you do (1/2tsp in 100ml water), but am curious to see what others think.

I always bloom my gelatin in room temp water for ten minutes before heating to 150, but not sure that’s what went wrong here. I also add the gelatin solution to the carboy after cold crashing, wait 48h, then rack to keg so I don’t have to worry about pouring out a glass of goo. However, sometimes I feel like the gelatin didn’t even work. I do use less than you do (1/2tsp in 100ml water), but am curious to see what others think.

Thanks. Yeah I’m not sure either. I got that those steps from several sources. But yeah...it didn’t work so...something went wrong. Beer tastes great which I guess is the important part. But I really want to figure this out.

Is there any harm in me redoing it? Now I’m genuinely curious. I did not let it bloom so perhaps that’s what went wrong. I just poured right into the 150 degree water. I just watched a video of a guy who does one cup of water and an entire packet of gelatin or 2.5 tsp. 1 tsp should have been enough listening to other sources but I don’t know.

I use 1/2 tsp in 1/4 cup of water in the fermenter so I never have tried in the keg.

Is your dip tube short?
Maybe you’re drawing beer from just above the goo?

You may run the risk of adding a haze with too much gelatin. I’ve not experienced it myself, but heard of the notion on a brulosophy podcast that overfined or undermining is a possibility.

I use the method found here on Brulosophy. It's worked wonders for me every time. 1/2 tsp gelatin in 1/4 cup cool water, microwave in 7 second bursts until you hit 145-150*F, then add to chilled beer. I've only used gelatin in the keg once, as I usually follow @Amadeo38 advice and gelatin in carboy for 48 hours, then transfer to keg. The one time I did gelatin in the keg though, I did get about 1/4 of a pint of goo but that was it.

The only thing I'm wondering is was your beer cold enough for the gelatin to do its thing? The one I did in the keg took 2 days for the beer to drop into the 40's. You added it after one day so maybe it wasn't cold enough?

No idea if that could be the culprit, but that's my uneducated guess...

I always add gelatin when the beer has got to just below 0c. Sometimes it does not do anything as other people have said. I have added it twice before and it made little difference that time and that was a lager. I don't have a microwave so i add half a teaspoon to a glass of boiling water. Stir, leave for 10mins then stir and add to the beer. Also i left it for a few days to work. How long do other people normally leave it?

Back