Gelatin fining - need quick answer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never stirred. Once you put it on gas and purge the oxygen you can give the keg a gentle swirl I have also seen people roll the keg.

I stir, not too vigorously though. I typically throw an extra CO2 blanket to reduce risk of oxidation.

I always gelatin in my kegs and have not had a problem with clogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wasn't thinking of fining in the keg (does the gelatin not clog the intake?). Do you recommend that over fining in my secondary?

I have never used gelatin in a carboy type secondary, If I secondary now I usually just keg it, then push it to a new keg when ready. I keg via set it and forget it method so my normal practice is rack to the keg (usually from primary), Let the keg cool 1-2 days off gas. Then I add the gelatin and set up my keg for 12 psi or so I let it sit for a week at that point to carb. Usually the first 2 pours or so are gelatin and crashed gunk then it runs pretty clear after that.

I have extra kegs. So sometimes, if I was looking for competition clarity I would push the beer into another keg after I poured off the gelatin/crash gunk. I can't say that I have noticed a huge difference doing this...

I am no pro at any of this btw most of what I know is from here, books, and youtube. This is just what has worked for me.

Back