Gelatin fining and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
Reaction score
I'm using gelatin for the first time to fine my first lager.

I cold crashed my 5.5 gal to about 41°F
I heated 1/2 tsp Knox unflavored in 1/4 cup water and poured it in.
After about 36 hours I moved it to where I bottle.
Now 24 hours later I can only really see a flashlight through the top 1/5th of it. It's a festbier, so fairly dark but I can tell there's a clear layer at the top.

You think I should cold crash it longer? Add more gelatin? Go ahead and bottle?
Hoping to have this ready by Sept 1st for a party, but if it's not, then oh well.

So the clear layer at the top got cloudy after sitting at room temp. I put it back in the fridge.
Going to try racking into my bottling bucket straight out of the fridge in a couple days.

I would keep it cold during the "gelatin time" as well as packaging.

My typical gelatin regimen is:
Cold crash (in primary if not saving the slurry), add gelatin whilst cold, cold condition 48 hours, keg.

How hot did you get the gelatin? I could be wrong but isn't there an upper temp limit of how hot you should get the gelatin? I always go to 145-150*F.

I agree with cactus, keep it cold and package it cold. I think that will give you the best results. I'd crash it for another 24-36 hours and package.

I believe that if you get the gelatin much over 160º it denatures the proteins.

<edit> I know read that somewhere but one method Knox suggests is to mix with sugar and pour boiling water over it. I would think that would be well over 160º. So much for that idea.

Last edited:
I did follow most recommendations to heat into the 150-155 range.
However while researching what to do many people also said you can go higher without ill effect.

Thanks guys, guess I'll be keeping it cold.
Cheers

From what I've heard, gelatin can't actually get denatured (a myth that seems to be perpetuated in this manner) - i think they were joking about this on the Brulosophy podcast on gelatin fining. That being said, I personally don't get it that hot anyway. I go the route the guys at Brulosophy do: 1/2 tsp gelatin in 1/4 cup water. Burst microwaved (with stirring) until 150°F, then add to the fermenter.

Just don't do what I did the first time I tried using gelatin. I don't know what I was thinking but I used a whole packet and while the beer was very clear it left quite a gooey mess on the bottom of the fermenter. :no:

Bottled after another 72h in the fridge. It looked clear but condensation was preventing a good flashlight test.

The cold vapor coming off the beer while bottling was pretty cool.

Back