Gelatin after kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
Some how I've managed to get a lot of debris into my last IPA keg even though I tried to cold crash and use gelatin. After many years I've never seen so much floating in a pint. Does anyone add gelatin after you keg? I fear it might clog the beer out tube.

I always add gelatin to the keg when I'm racking in my beer from the fermenter. Into the fridge for 3-4 days, then pull the gelatin. It has always worked for me. You just don't want to "cook" (go over ~160F) when making up your gelatin solution, otherwise it will turn to Jell-O in the keg instead of simply attracting particles and settling (like flocculating yeast does).

I always add gelatin to the keg when I'm racking in my beer from the fermenter. Into the fridge for 3-4 days, then pull the gelatin. It has always worked for me. You just don't want to "cook" (go over ~160F) when making up your gelatin solution, otherwise it will turn to Jell-O in the keg instead of simply attracting particles and settling (like flocculating yeast does).

I didn't cook the gelatin but I do think I did something wrong with preparing it. When you say pull do you mean just drain a few pints?

I add gelatin to the keg all the time, it's never clogged on me.

I ferment 2-3 weeks, then rack to the keg and put in the fridge on 30 psi for 24 hours while it cools. Then I open the keg, add the gelatin to the (now cooled, mostly carbed) beer, seal it back up, purge again, and set to serving pressure. Another 2-3 days later, I drain and dump the first 6 oz or so, then I get crystal-clear beer for the rest of the keg.

I don't know what I did wrong with the gelatin but this is the clearest dirty beer I've made. I don't know if the picture shows it but I have visible debris floating but overall it is very clear. I might try another round of gelatin to grab the debris. Tastes good though.

View attachment 1462663631459.jpg

If you're not selling it, who cares if there are floaties? You already said it tastes good, right? Kind of like lumps in the mashed potatoes...now you know they're real and not out of a box...don't worry about it! Gelatin usually knocks out the haziness from suspended yeast and proteins, so let it settle for a few more days and it should clear nicely. Enjoy what you've made!
:mug:

Latest posts

Back